First ever "precision machining" project -- AL cutting

1/8" HSS at the highest speed your Bridgeport is comfortable with should be fine. The last one I used was loud enough at 2000 RPM that I could no longer hear the end mill cut. I run 1/8" HSS at 3200 RPM on the Clausing. That's a skosh high but not excessive even for steel.

One advantage of milling vs bandsawing is that you don't have to square up the rhomboidal center piece afterwards.

If the ends are square I think I would set a vise stop to put the cut line just past the end of the jaws and then make four passes, both sides of both ends, so you only have to mill 1/8" deep. If they aren't square a rod work stop clamped in a tee slot and touching the work at its center should get you close enough to clean and square them up easily.

Since my mill doesn't have a DRO or enough quill travel to accommodate the fancy gizmos I start a tap straight in the drilled hole by guiding the tap shank with the untightened drill chuck jaws and turning the tap with one of these:

onto the flutes.

Once it's started straight I back off the quill and switch to another tap in a more convenient holder.

My well-used Clausing mill has a smooth and sensitive enough feel to use it as a manual tapper

I wouldn't try that on a Bridgeport, and usually on the Clausing only to start the tap.

You don't need to tap #4-40 the full 1/4" depth. If you drill part way through from the back at one size smaller than the OD of the tap threads you can hand-tap the holes by using the larger hole as a starting guide. The very shallow cut is enough to force the tap to run straight but not enough to break it. A hole slightly larger than the tap saves time but doesn't force alignment quite as well. Use a stub drill bit bottomed in the chuck so you can swap it with a jobbers length tap size drill without losing your depth stop position.

Some people like this method:

next time I tram the head of my mill really square and maybe surface-grind the vise base I might make one. It could be bored on a lathe too, if you have the small boring bars.

Which one of those I use varies with diameter and material. Sometimes I even power-tap.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins
[snip]

Do they sell in small quantities, directly or by distributors?

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

I have a pretty good selection of tapping fluids but aluminum is so easy with good taps that I just use kerosine from a needle bottle.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I find that denatured alcohol works pretty well for aluminum, and evaporates far faster than kerosene.

But I was thinking of fluids for working steel.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

A little update.

Unfortunately, the 1/4" alimunum plate was not thick enough.

I would have to go with a 3/8" plate. To simplify my life, I will spend a few extra $$ and will buy a brass plate 4x12x3/8". It is $40 more, but I think that it will actually save me money, due to less chances of things going badly.

Ignoramus32553

Educate me.....Why would fast evaporation be a desirable property for a cutting/tapping fluid especially since heat is involved? I would think just the opposite.

Reply to
oparr

In electronics 91% isopropyl alcohol is about the only solvent we can use now, so we use it everywhere. It's somewhat better than nothing and doesn't mess up your drawing too badly. The evaporation rate is reasonable for a cutting fluid.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

We are not talking of shipyard sized work pieces here.

It's easy to provide enough alcohol to flood the drilling zone despite the heat of drilling. Then a puff of compressed air cleans everything away. Except the burr.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Why not cut it out of steel?????

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch