first light with the not really new Miller

About 16 months ago I purchased a Miller 211 MIG welder. It's been moving from corner to corner waiting for the day it can finally be used.

The delays were caused by wiring issues, no gas, no real project, no metal to work with, no time, no daylight etc. The bullshit finally came to an end today.

Started work on a welding table, then of course it got too dark outside so I had to stop after basically getting three legs put together. The legs are just 36" tall 1-1/4 14 guage square tubing held together in a rectangle with the same. Top is a 30x36 1/4 in plate that will get thrown on top of that. I picked that size as being the limit of what can reasonably be carried up and down stairs. The legs/frame are 24x30 so it fits though the basement door and permits the top to overhang for easy clamping to stuff.

It's nothing special by any means, but it is metalworking related.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Are you a very tall person? 36" may be a bit too high. Most people ask for 30" high tables.

Ignoramus28978

Good point. The height you weld at depends on the table height and the heighth of the part you are welding. I made a welding table for light work which had a column instead of four legs and the height was adjustable.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I use a damaged sewer grate on a hydraulic stacker as a welding table and adjust its height to wherever I can stand upright and hold my hands steadiest.

Like this:

It's very handy for working on generators etc without having to squat or kneel awkwardly.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Not tall, but I intend to stand, and I figure if it's too high I can chop it down. The reverse would be harder.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

You bought the best. After using other welders its only blue boxes for me. Don't know how you waited that long to try your new toy. of course I seldom go a week without welding something.

I'm olny 5'11" but find I have to sit on a stool to use a 30" high table. Now i have two stools, dpending on whether I'm using the top or bottom half of the bifocals :)

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Karl Townsend fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yep! That old Syncrowave 300 I bought from Ig has just been the 't*ts'.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

These old Millers never die on you...

Glad I was of help...

Ignoramus2571

It was sort of weird to use the same model at the welding school and ignore the one at home. A fully equipped shop is more appealing to use though.

I find I can't work at a 30" counter unless I'm sitting and even then they feel too low. If you have to manuever stuff, a stool just becomes another item in the way.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader