Fitting new bearing

I sure would appreciate some advise on this operation. I'm replacing a worn out bearing in my Milwaukee router and find that the aluminum housing is between .001/.002 oversize for the new bearing. Should I set the new bearing in something to keep it tight, if so, what might that something be???

Thanks, Ed Angell

Reply to
Ed Angell

Loctite makes a compound for seating loose bearings.

Chuck Pilgrim

Reply to
Pilgrim

Locktite sleeve and bearing retention compound, it's one of the 600 series, I think the 620. Basically you just de-grease the bore, clean the bearing OK, apply the compound, and drop the bearing in.

If you need to remove the bearing, you need to use heat to break down the compound. Stuff works great.

Jim

jim rozen

An alternative to Loctite is a Tolerance Ring. See

You can buy them at
. I have used them several times in new bearing installations in aluminum housings. They give you a permanent, wear-proof fit that allows easy disassembly without damage to the fit. You will have to enlarge the original bearing seat to accommodate the ring.

Randy

Reply to
Randal O'Brian

A rotating shaft supported with two ball bearings should have a tight fit in each of the ID's of the ball bearing. One of the ball bearing OD's must be locked in place to prevent the rotating shaft from moving lengthwise. The other OD must be a loose fit in the housing and not be trapped to allow for thermal expansion of the shaft. If not done that way the life of both bearings will be reduced substantially. ( One ID loose and the other three fits tight, is not so good because slip occurs on the smallest diameter, which means the shaft would rotate inside of the inner ring of the bearing causing wear to the shaft.) HTH

Reply to
John