New pistol advise- some metalworking

I have the urge for a new pistol and just starting to look. I will undoubtedly apply some metalworking to it as I just can't leave things alone. I have been shooting and reloading for 25 years but have fallen out of training and hope a new tool will excite me. I'm thinking automatic in .40, 10mm. or .45 I already have a number of wheel guns and automatics in .22 and 9mm. (A perfect Luger that I won't shoot). I just want to do targets and maybe pins. I'll never carry...I'd have to clean it every day and I can't afford that many rounds. To say price is no object would be wrong but I won't get junk. Any thoughts? Again I will make chips, I promise!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I'd say get a Glock 20. It is a 10mm, and according to the stats I've seen it is more powerfull than a .357 magnum... plus you get a 10 shot clip with a new gun.

The only problem is, you won't be making chips.

Why mess with perfection.

Dave

Reply to
David A. Webb

.45 ACP It would be the last gun I'd get rid of and I've had a few. I think it's the best in a number of ways; fun to shoot, fun to reload, comfortable in the hand, very easy and relatively cheap to customize, potentially very reliable for an automatic, if set up right and feeding good-quality round-nose ammo.

Oh, and if you get into the unfortuate situation of having to use it for self- defense, the sound of the slide slamming forward and the huge barrel is nicely intimidating.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I'm very pleased with the SIG P220. It is a DA/SA .45ACP. Very well made, very accurate, and very natural and intuitive to shoot.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

I've only had one chance to fire a .45 ACP and I loved it. I was at the range one day with my Thompson Super 14 chambered for .35 Remington, when the fellow next to me asked if he could try it in exchange for my trying his .45. I don't remember the brand of his pistol but it was a .45 on a .38 frame. It was light and compact and surprisingly accurate, even at

100 yards (I was able to keep most rounds within a 12" circle offhand after becoming familiar with it).

If I were to get a defense weapon I'd be tempted to get a similar piece. The downside is ammo capacity compared to the 9mm autos out there.

Reply to
Artemia Salina

If you would like a project gun, I might suggest one of the low end Charles Daly's. A 1911 clone, inexpensivly made, though made well enough to provide a good base for upgrading, slicking, tricking, chopping and channeling, fluffing and buffing

Or perhaps one of the ParaOrdnance frame kits, and build one from scratch (which I did) by mating slide, parts etc from other sources. A true custom arm. I call such Frankenguns..lol.

There is much you can do easily, to a 1911 clone, involving machine work that is interesting and challenging. I also suggest a .45, rather than other calibers, as most of them are answers to questions that were never asked.

Gunner

" ..The world has gone crazy. Guess I'm showing my age... I think it dates from when we started looking at virtues as funny. It's embarrassing to speak of honor, integrity, bravery, patriotism, 'doing the right thing', charity, fairness. You have Seinfeld making cowardice an acceptable choice; our politicians changing positions of honor with every poll; we laugh at servicemen and patriotic fervor; we accept corruption in our police and bias in our judges; we kill our children, and wonder why they have no respect for Life. We deny children their childhood and innocence- and then we denigrate being a Man, as opposed to a 'person'. We *assume* that anyone with a weapon will use it against his fellowman- if only he has the chance. Nah; in our agitation to keep the State out of the church business, we've destroyed our value system and replaced it with *nothing*. Turns my stomach- " Chas , rec.knives

Reply to
Gunner

Combat Tupperware...phaaaa!

[...]

There is no downside insofar as ammo capacity. The hi-capacity Wonder

9s were the unfortunate result of its (9mm) orginal inability to stop an opponent with multiple shots, and a great deal of media hype.

The 7 (or 8 with a Wilson magazine) shots deliverable with a standard

1911 style arm are more than necessary. FBI stats show that 2.5 rounds are expended in gun fights at a range of 7 yrds or less. At worst, case, 2 to the chest, one to the head, are needed to stop even the most agressive individual, even on PCP. If you have a need to stop multiple opponents, then I might suggest a good combat shotgun, or a self loading arm in .223

Building a combat shotgun is also another decent metalworking project btw. I would suggest starting with a Remington 870, or perhaps an Ithica bottom eject. While a Mossberg 500 series makes a very good combat shotgun, the non removable magazine tube makes things a bit more problematical when increasing its capacity.

[...]

Not if you buy a 590, 9 rounds. Until recently it was USMC issue. My wife likes hers.

JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC

But whats the fun of Buying one? The 590 is a very good tool. If you want to BUY the best, buy one of the Benelli Tacticals. But if you want to build one.....

[...]

I'll throw in yet another vote for a 1911 clone. They can be had with about any bell or whistle you can dream up. And if your really up for a project how about finishing a 80% frame and building your own?Or maybe even starting with a 0% forging. There's nothing like being able to say you built it yourself. If you do go that route, the forum here is definately a must see

lots of great people and great ideas. But beware, building your own can be addictive.

Brett

Reply to
Brett