Flanged sleeve arbors for vibrating Ryobi 8" grinder - updated repost

I originally posted this on 11 March 2009, but didn't have the pictures up on the dropbox, due to a cockpit problem. That's solved, and here is an updated version of the posting.

I finally got around to making two sets of flanged half-sleeves that fit nose-to-nose, two to a grinding wheel with the wheel between. This pretty much tamed the vibration. What remains appears to be due to slight warpage of the wheels themselves. I'll dress them true when I have time to drag the grinder outside (so the resulting cloud of grit doesn't coat everything in my shop).

The files are:

While taking the photos, I found that using a textured background helped the autofocus camera a lot. Autofocus cameras are not really designed to focus on shiney metal, and often become confused. This is the cause of many a blurred photograph. With my camera, an Olympus eVolt 510, it is also essential to use Macro mode (the symbol on the camera is a stylized flower).

What also helped a lot was to use a slave flash to fill the room with light, triggered by the pipsqueak flash on the camera. The slave flash is pointed away from the camera at the wall and ceiling to the left of the objects in the photos. The wall and ceiling are painted white.

The trick is to use enough flash power to fill the room without making the item being photographed too bright. This is actually easy to accomplish. One just tries flash levels until it works.

I used an old studio flash (from my photo hobby days) turned down to minimum power, but edison-base AC slave flashes are cheap and common. One just screws them into a ordinary lamp, and fires away.

.

What also works is a tabletop size light tent illuminated by the flash. One can improvise serviceable light tents out of white nylon shower curtains and #10 galvanized steel wire. Almost anything that's translucent and white will work.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Good work - nice mods. Now how much would you estimate that the grinder is worth?

Also, thanks for the link to the screw-in slave flash; I'll probably order one, just for the convenience of mounting it in various situations.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Thanks. $50? After all, it's used. And user-modified.

If this were purely economics, I would have just junked that Ryobi grinder and bought a Baldor. I spent far too much time taming that sorry grinder. But it came out of the education budget.

What's also useful is a clamp-base flood lamp holder, as table lamps are rare in machine shops.

By the way, B&H is reliable. I've bought expensive stuff from them for at least 20 years, and never a problem.

I have also bought from Adorama

for at least that long.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Actually, my question was tongue-in-cheek about the cost, adding in the cost of the Highly Professional Machinist (for the flange fabrication). Of course, you addressed that in the next comment:

And nobody said an education was cheap.

You mean better than 47th St Photo? (Ha!) I remember sending some of my hard-earned dollars to them back in the 60s for a light meter (Sekonic?). The first one was DOA, the replacement worked for about a month.

I have bought from B&H numerous times, with good results. They have good prices on lenses and other stuff for my old Nikon film cameras. I've also had good luck with a firm in Georgia (KEH?).

Thanks, Joe

Reply to
Joe

My answer was deadpan. I'm working the the Machinist part.

Yep. Curing the 5914 lathe of chatter was also quite educational.

I don't recall buying much from 47th St Photo, but I don't recall why.

I do recall having bought from KEH, mostly used Olympus film cameras, mostly OM and XA stuff, and being satisfied with the purchases.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn