Forming Stainless Steel

I have a fabricated lawnmower that has the top deck corroded through, and I decided to replace it with a sheet of stainless so I'll not have to do the job again. I have one problem. The original deck top has a rounded front of 12.5" radius, and all around that radius, as well as down both sides, there is a rounded down edge of 1/2" radius to make it fit nicely on the 1" dubular steel frame of the deck.

How can I form this radiused "lip"? I'm not sure what guage it is, or even what kind of stainless - it was a "surplus" stainless steel countertop. Is there a way I can anneal this to make it easier to work?

I'm thinking of making a hardwood block with the right radii in the end grain and going at the job with a 2 lb hammer. The block will be pivotted from the center of the sheet and swung around as I hammer my way around the semi-circle - the straight sections will be easier - but I'm not expecting it to be a simple job.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Not being a simple job is an understatement. Stainless work hardens, and quickly. In order to do that job successfully, it most likely would have to be done in a die set, in one fell swoop. Considerable stretching must occur in order for the material to assume the shape you desire, and it might prove to be nearly impossible by hand. Dunno.

I'm not suggesting you can't do it the way you described, but I think you'll find it will test you to the breaking point. You'll have to anneal the stainless several times. You can do that by heating it to a red heat, then quenching it in water, or even allowing it to air cool. If it's counter top material, it's likely 316, and it's not heat treatable, so all you'll be doing is removing the work hardened condition when you heat it.

Good luck! I'd enjoy hearing how it turns out-

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

There was a discussion on forming stainless sheet recently on the Yahoo group metalshapers If you do a search on that group for stainless you will find the discussion.

regards,

John

Reply to
john johnson

The original deck top has a

Around the dawn of time I worked at a place that made industrial washing machines from stainless steel. The radii were made by welding (Heliarc) a radiused section (imagine a pipe slit into quarters)to join the sides, and a preformed corner would be welded in. The welds would then be ground and polished. You couldn't see a seam.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

Well, I decided to give it a try this afternoon. I borrowed an old

11X24.5 truck rim from a local trucking company to use as an anvil (almost perfect size) and I just swatted the edges down with a big rubber hammer, then worked them down with the 2 lb ball pien hammer untill I had the shape I wanted. I did not heat it at all, and it came out virtually perfect. It's a my friend's shop right now getting a square lip welded on the back and the center hole for the bearing spool plasma cut out. He's pretty busy these days with "paying jobs" so I may have to wait a few days - but I'll post some pix when I get it back. I'm having him cut me new skirts out of stainless as well, so I'll need to form the roll on the top edge of 40 some inches of stainless, and form it to the 24.5" radius as well - then drill it and pop-rivet all the parts to the tube frame.

In the meantime, I've got to wire brush the tube frame and five it a couple good coats of rust paint.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Way cool, and a much better turnout than I had expected. MUCH better. I've spun a little stainless with not great results, and figured you'd have about the same degree of success. Truth is, when you read stock lists, they talk about how stainless can be easily worked. I can only assume it's a skill that evades me.

I was particularly impressed with your inventiveness, using a rim for your form.

Congrats! Looking forward to the pics.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

I'm nothing if not inventive! I worked / taught Auto Mechanics in Zambia in the early seventies - when NOTHING was readilly available. Many a "Zamfix".

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Chuckle!

Yeah, from all indications, that's true.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos