Free NASA software

How did I ever get along without a 3D model of the Viking Lander or the Wide-Field Infrared Telescope? Ora calculating app for terrestrial landings of my low-orbit launch rocket?

Pine no more. NASA's new free software catalog delivers all of that and much more, for free:

Have fun.

Reply to
edhuntress2

An app I rewrote to add some features to and clean up the grad/summer-student mishmash to ORNL code years ago was in the catalog once't upon a time...almost 20 yr ago by now. There's a lot of "stuff" there indeed but most has very limited applicability outside its intended use, but just once't in a while somebody will be able to adapt something for their use. At least they do make it available rather than just being lost entirely.

Reply to
dpb

much more, for free:

There's a lot to dig through in that catalog, and I really should have post ed a link to another site, where I learned about it. If you scroll down in this page you'll see some suggestions of potentially *useful* software from the catalog; links to NASA's 3D model, image and texture collection; and s ome other useful things. NASA makes a lot of interesting info available for rree:

And any RCM member who doesn't subscribe to NASA Tech Briefs really should be doing so:

It's free, co-published with SAE, and some really interesting stuff shows u p every other issue or so. I've gotten several article leads out of it over the years.

Reply to
edhuntress2

On 03/03/2017 11:05 AM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: ...

I subscribed for 20(?) yr but didn't renew it when quit the consulting gig; replaced all those journals with the ag equivalents after returning to the family farm...any more, that's about or maybe more advanced than what NASA's doing... :)

Reply to
dpb

_National Hog Farmer_ is well-regarded. Then there's "Pork -- Be Inspired." But that's about eating them...

Reply to
edhuntress2

The latter is what they're for.. :) But, no piggies here; outside just having a couple for own use it's either "all-in" or "out" as the middle-sized guy simply can't compete with Seaboard and their ilk any longer unless, perhaps, one were near a major metro area where could do the cosmopolitan thing with the want to know where came from crowd but just not enough numbers of people out here for that kind of thing to work.

Reply to
dpb

It's funny you should bring that up, because I was just thinking today abou t my grandfather's tiny farm -- entirely within the city limits of Vineland , NJ -- which was mostly a decorative tree nursery for landscaping rich peo ples' property but where he also raised chickens, Jenny Lind cantaloupes an d some other specialty fruits and vegetables exclusively for the premium re staurant trade in New York and Philadelphia. The cantaloupes were wrapped i ndividually in salt hay and packed into oak barrels (this was the '20s and '30s), then rushed to express trains going to New York and Philly.

The Whole Foods customers would have been a great market for him. Fortunate ly, the fancy restaurants were all he could handle from his little acreage, and they kept going right through the Depression.

Reply to
edhuntress2