Is NASA dead

With the launch of the last shuttle, I expected a media blitz on plans for a replacement program. This was their chance. The silence on the subject is deafening. Only thing in the news the last few days is the cancellation of the next Hubble telescope.

I did find reference on goggle to NASA funding four separate programs and a tech. carping about the lack of direction here. Didn't see what the four programs are. There's just not much on goggle about replacement options either. (Maybe I don't know how to search)

It looks like the only thing going on is the space station. It has no clearly stated objectives at this point. And it looks like we're going to let the Russians run it. At least they can make some serious money here. Bet NASA pays through the nose for the ferry service to the space station.

Tell me it isn't so Joe. Did we give up?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

IIRC, someone reported on the news the other day, approx 50 million per trip for the Russian space-taxi service...

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

And the NASA website says it costs nine times that per shuttle launch > . I'd say we're getting a pretty good deal ... the time has come for the private sector to show us what they can do with costs .

Reply to
Snag

NASA claims $450,000,000 per shuttle launch:

But the shuttle has higher capacity to LEO, so cost per kg is maybe only halved by using the Soyuz (again, using NASA's numbers- which cover only operating costs.. real costs from NASA are more like $1.3bn/launch when you amortize the cost of the program over the number of launches).

Either way, it looks to be MUCH cheaper than using current NASA technology. Given that the ISS is doomed to "de-orbiting" in 8 or 9 years (2020), it seems like a reasonble choice.

.. also see the article in the most recent issue of _The Economist_ entitled "The end of the Space Age".

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

On 7/10/2011 10:30 AM, Snag wrote: ... the time has come for the private sector to

Just wait til OSHA catches up with the private space businesses. They will kill it with regulations.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

Hear, hear!

-- Progress is the product of human agency. Things get better because we make them better. Things go wrong when we get too comfortable, when we fail to take risks or seize opportunities. -- Susan Rice

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Well, it's $50 mil to send two astronauts up, with a bit of gear. Anything else right now has to ride on a conventional rocket. We now send folks into space at the pleasure of the Russian government. IOW, we can be locked out of space for years if they chose to do so. Not likely, but possible.

I couldn't agree more on this. And I do think while we've become dependent upon Russia to get people into space, in the long run it will be to our benefit to get serious about space in a commercial way for low orbit stuff and leave NASA to deeper exploration.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Actually the cost is closer to 60 million per astronaut for the trip. That gets you one seat and 110 pounds of cargo.

The Shuttle on the other hand can handle a payload of 55,000 pounds, With 7 people on board and with the capability of 11 people during emergency transport. 7 during normal operations.

So for 9X the price you get a very large increase in abilities.

Reply to
Steve W.

Which is akin to using a 53' semi to carry that passenger and luggage if you don't need to haul anything big. Certainly more capability, but a better value to take the taxi.

Reply to
Pete C.

Hubble would have been lttle more than useless space junk without the capacity of the shuttle. And the Shuttle can retrieve things like broken satellites on the return trip if required. That's the real loss.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

What if the Russians decide they won't carry us up there anymore? On the high seas an abandoned vesicle can be claimed, using an extention of sea law, they might just take the space station away from us.

Burt Rutan, please hurry, we need you.

Wes

Wes

This is the kind of huge space telescope the Shuttle was meant to launch and service, not the Hubble:

the Soviet Union fell it lost much of its value, but who could have predicted that, or wished otherwise?

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Yes it is.

Being able to get to earth orbit is vital to our defense and our economy. I can't believe we gave up on it wiht out a replacement ready.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

If a viable shuttle was still in existance, would it be possible to attach propulsion to increase the height of the orbit and the stations life?

Wes

Reply to
Wes

There is no shortage of ability to "get to earth orbit" by the US, Wes. The Big Atlas' and Delta's are still being flown regularly. What no one in the world can do at this point is bring back a malfunctioning piece of hardware for repair. The shuttle retrieved a lot of expensive stuff that failed to deploy properly and that saved a lot of money and time. Insurance premiums were also reduced.

I can't believe we gave up on it wiht out a replacement

The Space Shuttle is an archaic piece of junk. It's a miracle we only lost two of them. In fact, it's a miracle this thing ever got off the ground.

That doesn't mean the mission wasn't important and necessary. It is and it's a mission that won't be accomplished by anything private industry will be able to produce in the next twenty or so years, if ever. Your jaw would drop were you aware of the stupidity underlying recent failures and near misses.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

can't believe

There's Delta IV for the military. And there are other options for commercial satellites.

Is there any benefit, vital or otherwise, to putting people into space? Wasn't the ISS just a make-work project to keep Russian scientists from churning out ICBM designs to pay the rent?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

h propulsion to

The Russians wisely gave their ISS module tow eyes.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

spacex (

) is more-or-less right down the street from KSC and has a NASA contract to develop astronaut transport capabilities. They expect to be in full operation in three years and at half the cost we are currently paying Russia to ferry our guys to the ISS,

NASA is concentrating on bigger things, and they believe that the LEO stuff should be left to the private sector. I watched the last launch on NASA TV, which had extensive coverage of the astronauts boarding the shuttle and getting hooked up and squared away. I was a bit surprised that out of the seven members of the closeout crew, only two were NASA employees and the others were contractors.

Reply to
rangerssuck

he high seas an

ht just take the

They'll be flying to the ISS in three years.

Reply to
rangerssuck

I didn't write clearly, I was agreeing with you on the bring back capablilty lost but didn't word it right. It is late for me.

Wes

Wes