frozen bearing race

Hello all, i have a 7 inch angle grinder that blew a bearing on the rear of the shaft. My problem is that when the bearing blew, the inner race was frozen onto the shaft. I was wondering if anyone here had an idea of how to get the old race off to replace the bearing? It appears also to have been pressed on to add to my troubles. I'm pretty sure I can't use heat on it. tia granpaw

Reply to
granpaw

I've cut them off in the past - a 4" grinder for big ones, dremel & cutting disk for the little ones.

Cut nearly through in 2 or 3 places, then give it a couple of taps from the side with a hammer (against vice /anvil). They usually come loose & fall off.

Reply to
Rob

"Rob" wrote in news:44e83f80$0$305$ snipped-for-privacy@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au:

Hey GOOD idea...Thanks!

Reply to
granpaw

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 07:11:22 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, granpaw quickly quoth:

I use a 3" x 1/16" cutoff blade in a die grinder. It gets the race so hot it usually falls off before cutting all the way through. It takes about fifteen seconds, so it's QUICK!

You can cool the armature shaft in water or set it on a steel sheet to conduct the heat out quickly, but it probably saw more heat than that in freezing the bearing race on there in the first place.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

As others have suggested a small cut-off wheel in a die grinder will eat those bearing races for lunch. If it's a whole ball bearing, notch the OD race with the grinder, and then put the bearing in a vise and squeeze. Cover it with a rag to catch teh shrapnel.

You can often cut through the inner all the way, but even if you can't, you can still notch it, hold it in a vise, and sock the notch with a cold chisel. That's often enough to pop it. Again, cover with a rag and wear some safety glasses.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com: snip

Yeah will try that die grinder out tonight. You made a point I hadn't considered though, given that there was only one lonely ball bearing left when I took the case off, and pratically no dust, tells me that there must have been a LOT of heat generated in eating it up, but the fan cooling it must have stopped the contacts from melting.

granpaw

Reply to
granpaw

You may need to cut the race at a pretty good angle to prevent damage to the armature and this makes it a little harder to judge the depth of the cut. A small disc in a Dremel type tool seems easiest to control and get in close. Just take your time and it will work.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young