Galvanizing & Gophers

Hi, All you metal experts. I am wondering about how long hardware cloth will last in the ground after I give it HCL acid bath to remove the galvanizing. I've also read that the metal will rust if not cleaned properly. I'm hoping for a year, maybe a little more, but not much more.

I am planting a bunch of trees in on my gopher infested property. Gophers will eat the roots of young plants and kill them - especially the root ball at the base of the tree. All the tree experts say that hardware cloth is the answer; make a basket and put the plant in that so that the tree can establish itself before the gophers can get to the root ball. I can't seem to buy ungalvanized hardware cloth, so I'm wondering if I wipe the hardware cloth with hcl acid, give it a light rinse, and then plant it, if it will last a year and not too much more?

Thanks in advance for your help Pachydermitis

Reply to
praesagus

I don't think a wipe would do it, but immersion in a bucket surely would -- and you can dilute the acid quite a bit with water. When the hardware cloth stops bubbling, the zinc is gone -- unless the acid is completely spent, which isn't likely. It only takes a few minutes.

How long it will then last depends a lot on your soil chemistry. A year or two seems like a reasonable estimate.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Poisons, traps, and other extreme methods. Cut down the population of them there pesky rodents. A good dog will help too, we had a groundhog problem and then our dogs got in on the act. Larger holes to fill until the groundhogs were gone, but we haven't had a groundhog in the yard for many years now, I think the word got out. LOL

Reply to
whiskers69

I must be missing something--why do you want to remove the galvanization?

Steve

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Steve Smith

Reply to
RoyJ

That makes sense. It would be pretty tough to disengage later.

Steve

RoyJ wrote:

Reply to
Steve Smith

I've always had more success, metal-wise, using lead with gophers. About an ounce and an eighth, delivered with velocity. Makes 'em do backflips.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I agree with the Pb position. However I prefer smaller doses with much more velocity. 40 grains @ 4000 fps makes them explode. If your in a city or are noise sensitive then about 18 grains @ 825 fps just tips 'em over. Tom

Reply to
Tom Wait

Well, it's about energy of course, but also about cleanup. I prefer to have something I can pick up and throw out in the field, rather than a bloody smudge on the lawn. Also, I've only got 30 acres, and with the scattergun, I *know* that my shot won't go beyond my property.

I tried with the .410 rather than the 12ga, it works but it's a single shot rather than a pump. So when there's several, I don't have time to reload before they scatter.

Couple years ago they got out of hand. I tried the "let's not shoot 'em all as soon as they show up and see what happens" approach. I won't be doing that again.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Well if you get another crop of the little bastards, give me a call. I'm not fur from ya. I'll bring the Silver Streak, an 870 12ga. and a couple of beverages and we'll wipe em out. I've been punchin' paper too long. BTW there's nothing to pickup after the 22-250 hits 'em. Just red mist. Tom

Reply to
Tom Wait

I do love that Sheridan. Hey - I found 2 original owners manuals for them, want one?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Do I want one? Does a Milwaukeean guzzle beer? Your darn tootin'. Send it here.

Reply to
Tom Wait

I'm going to the post office tomorrow. If you've got a 5/8" R8 collett to trade, that'd be great, otherwise we'll just let it go at "here you go, enjoy".

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I was going to mention something about that too, but I didn't want to offend anybody. But that's my solution to alot of stray nuisance type critters, shoot first and ask questions later.

Reply to
whiskers69

I don't have an R-8 anything here. My Hard-Port mill has 5C and B&S 7 collets. I'll think of something. Many thanks to you. Tom

Reply to
Tom Wait