Gas powered hammer drill

Looks like my rock project is off for this year, so I've more time to gather tools and try to choose the most suitable.
If anyone finds a 2-stroke hammer drill somewhere, I'd appreciate hearing of it. Seems the only one made these days costs a couple thousand dollars.

How about a small generator and a 120 volt hammer drill? You should be able to do it for around $600+.
Or, you can buy cordless hammer drills for $200-$300. Greg
Greg O wrote:

I'd have to carry the generator or air compressor (I have the air tools and compressor) a heck of a long ways across some real ankle breaker land. Might be able to leave the genny where I park my boat, but that's a long hike.
Also, I wouldn't be using the cordless enough to keep the battery in good shape in the off season. Even with the drawbacks, this is looking like the best idea so far of I cannot find a gas powered rig.
Besides, I know someone I can sell a gas powered hammer drill to if I find one. <G>

I have an el-cheapo solar battery charger (the ones you plug into a cig lighter socket, and sit in your dash to keep your car battery topped off with) that I have hard wired to a deep cycle battery, the batt is connected to a 300 watt inverter. The inverter is hooked to an outlet strip (power strip like the kind most folks use to plug their computer gear to). I have 3 of those 14.4V tool battery chargers plugged into the power strip which allows me to keep 3 batterys charging at all times. Total cost for this set up including the 3 extra tool batterys was just under $175.
This set-up allows me to work all day, and the tool battery chargers (all three together) draws very little current, YMMV.
BTW, I'm using the "Black & Decker 14.4V Firestorm Combo set" Which was one of the best damn investments I have ever made in a set of power tools. (I paid $150 for the set at Wal-Mart)
n.
On Sat, 08 May 2004 15:38:50 -0700, Offbreed

I saw one displayed in a tool store once- they chucked up a bit and drove it into a brick wall and left it hanging there. quite an eyecatcher....

Ryobi did make one that was popular with the rockhounds, though I heard it was discontinued. Might be able to find a used one, maybe Ebay or post on some of the rockhound boards.
Regards,
Bob
Bob Edwards wrote:

Yeah, about 1990. Same time Ryobi discontinued several other gas powered tools. They're kind of scarce these days, and the cordless hammer drills are lighter, more convenient, and don't have a hot muffler to deal with, so the ones that are still around are sort of ignored.
Can't beat them for specialty situations, though.
Some other companies also made them, but I haven't chased down the names.
Offbreed wrote:

Sadly mine is drill and drill hammer. I noticed some real nice spade units in sds iirc. Must have been for the Ryobi.
Martin
--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
Offbreed wrote:

Well since this is RCM I can not help but ask why not make one ? I doubt It would be all that hard to remove the gear box from an old electric rotary hammer and couple that to a weed eater motor ? Luck Ken Cutt
Ken Cutt wrote:

Thanks, that's an interesting idea. I don't have a tool shop, but might be able to rig something up that way.

I've got one of the Ryobis, Offbreed. You're welcome to borrow it if it's driving distance for you. About 45 miles northwest of Charlotte, NC.
Garrett Fulton
Garrett Fulton wrote:

Uh, thanks. I'm in Alaska.
Now, if you want to swing by for some salmon and halibut fishing, I might be able to set you up. (Unfortunatly, I'm usually turning 7/12's during the fishing and hunting season, so I couldn't join you.) (Dammit)
Tanaka is the cheapest that I have been able to find. Havent used one though. Skil builds a geology grade one that costs more than my car (old car). Seems that you can get a standard pakage for about $ 700 usd here:
http://www.wikco.com/tnkdrill1.html
regards, Jim
On Sat, 08 May 2004 15:38:50 -0700, Offbreed

JK wrote:

Thanks. Fascinating site. Got a few new search terms to chase, too.
Unfortunatly, that's not a hammer drill.
Stihl also offers a gas powered drill, but I don't recall the price.
"Skil geology grade"? I'll chase that too.
The gas powered drills are available and reasonable $$$. I wonder if you could convert the head to hammer drill? Hmmmm.
Offbreed wrote:

Roy J wrote:

Gosh - my rock hunting days used an up-stroke and a down stroke normally with a hand pick.
Martin - used to hunt petrified palm trees.
--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
http://www.alpina.at/e_seiten/ski/SKI.350.html

DanG wrote:

That's more like it. Now to see what they cost in the US.
Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

Gee I bet they were not to tough to sneak up on and catch , ha ha Ken Cutt
Ken Cutt wrote:

Ken - you will never know - They were very tough!
They love to hide in bar ditches, and creek beads in East Texas.
It takes an eye to spot some, but once the eye is trained - pow the grip takes hold.
Haven't been out in years, can't wait for another venture.
Martin
--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn