gear cutting help needed

===================== Sounds like a good idea. Cutter will automatically be centered and both sides will be symmetrical. Does the tool have enough strength for anything beyond sheet brass? What is the working radius of the tool? Do you just have a flat on the tool to orient in the holder or is there some special technique?

Do you use soft drill rod / silver steel and harden or grind round hard tool steel? We are limited to a propane torch and a bucket of water for hardening (but if the old timers could do it ? )

GmcD

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

======================== Thanks for the tip. I checked and some of the older machining books [Lindsay reporints] show these cutters.

As usual, the details of use are sketchy at best.

When I make a 25 X CAD layout it appears with the smaller gears the extra teeth on the cutter do not contact and thus the spaces in the gear are too narrow. Do you have to make several passes with the cutter with the gear slightly rotated and cutter slightly displaced to get a involute curve (approximated by a series of straight lines) and wider spaces? If so how many passes?

GmcD

Reply to
F. George McDuffee