Metal sourcing

Back to metal, where do you guys buy your steel and aluminum plate for projects? Y'know, foot square or smaller.

I got some motors in the mail yesterday and need either flanged plates or 3-5" diameter faceplates for them (5/16" D and 3/8" round shafts.) The need is to convert from rotary to reciprocating motion for 1-10 lbs @ 1-60 rpm. I can't think of the name for the rotating ball/bushing used there so I can't Google it, either.

========================================================== I drank WHAT? +

--Socrates + Web Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I schlep over to the local scrap steel yard and buy it by the pound. To date I haven't had to buy anything new.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

the part you are thinking of is called a rod end. You can get them in many forms and materials. Go to

and do a search on rod end to see the selection. I used several in my mirror grinder

machineman

I buy from the local scrap metal yard. They also stock new rod & bar stock, channel and square & rectangular tubing.

Heim joint maybe?

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 00:03:03 GMT, the inscrutable machineman spake:

I finally gave up and hauled out the MCS, Enco, and McMaster catalogs, all lebenty seben pounds of them. After half an hour on the couch, thumbing through them, I found the pictures of rod ends and rod end linkages. That's what I wanted! Pages 898-902 of Catalog #106.

Thanks to Keith, too, for the Heim joint reference. I had seen that here and knew that was the same thing I needed but couldn't think of the term.

The damper crank arm on page 903 might give me an adjustable throw, too, unless I find inexpensive faceplates.

Now to find what I'd call a faceplate for a wood lathe. 5/16 and 3/8" shaft collar with 4-6" plate.

========================================================== I drank WHAT? +

--Socrates + Web Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I am lucky enough to live near a metal supplier. They break and shear metals. They have a "rem pile" and scrap drums. You can find all sorts of pieces of aluminum and steel, and they charge by the pound. Really cheap for those little projects.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Larry,

In my area there is a store called "Metal Supermarkets" that I get metal supplies from. You can check to see if there is a store in your area by going to:

Go to the "store finder" and see if there's one near you. They cut to size and have no minimum.

Bernd

Reply to
Bernd

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 20:27:28 -0800, the inscrutable "SteveB" spake:

There's one here in town where I've dropped off old dryers, but I've never priced any new or used metal from them. The scrap prices would be lovely for most projects. I'll check with them on Tuesday. Thanks for reminding me of the scrap price potential.

========================================================== I drank WHAT? +

--Socrates + Web Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 15:31:51 GMT, the inscrutable "Bernd" spake:

2 closest links are Portland at 250 miles away and Hayward, CA at 375 miles distant. I'll try the local scrap metal yard. It's a small version of the larger store in Medford so I might even get them to haul up small quantities of other scrap to this store.

========================================================== I drank WHAT? +

--Socrates + Web Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reply to
Glenn

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 00:20:27 -0800, the inscrutable "Glenn" spake:

Thanks, Glenn. I may take you up on that. I have 2 tons of welder sitting out under my leanto on the North Forty but nothing to weld a collar on a piece of steel. My Lincoln welder project has not been started in nearly 3 years now and I fear it may never be done. I should trade it for a small, usable welding setup or two. In the interim, I could use a few minutes on a welder.

I thought Schnitzer's larger facility was in Medford. The satellite is here in GP. Looking in the Jello Pages (Hey, why didn't I think of this sooner?) I see that Dixon is also in White City, and there's a GP Steel here, too.

-- Life's a Frisbee: When you die, your soul goes up on the roof. ----

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You are welcome to use my welders (here) :) Have a miller wirefeed 175 and a Milller 350 AC/DC box with tig head. From what it sounds like you want to do I think the MIG would be fine. I have several pieces of 1/2" steel plate that could be turned into what it sounds like you are wanting? My e-mail addy is real. Glenn Neff Medford, OR

Reply to
Glenn

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 10:17:52 -0800, the inscrutable "Glenn" spake:

Thanks, Glenn. I appreciate that and will be in touch.