how to paint a small Aluminum box?

I have a small Al box (6 sides) that I need to paint. I have about 10 of them. It is one time thing. What is the best way to paint them? Seems it is tough to get a smooth surface.

What kind of paint should I use? Oil or Latex What should I do to ensure nice smooth surface?

thanks Andrew

Reply to
ahgu

Spray.

Lacquer or an automotive paint over primer.

Reply to
Jim Levie

Clean them down well with a good degreaser and then use an Aluminum primer. Follow with a good enamel paint. Alternately you could look for a local outfit that does powder coating, with the low priced units available now I have found several local back yard one man doing low volume jobs. Check with local motorcycle or custom auto shops for leads.

Reply to
machineman

Use an aluminum prep solution like Ditzler/PPG Alumiprep. You'd find it at a place that carries supplies for autobody and painting. It's a water-based solution that you apply with brush, rag, dip, let it work for a couple of minutes and then rinse with water.

I've found that nearly any paint wets and levels beautifully after such treatment.

Reply to
Don Foreman