Gearing question

OK, this is somewhat on-topic.

O own a motorcycle, it has a large gap between the 1st two gears, a popular mod is to replace ONE of the two gears that make up the 2nd- gear pair, the new gear has fewer teeth.

How on earth can you change the number of teeth on just one gear of a pair when they are set at a fixed distance?

Dave

Reply to
Dave__67

Can't.

Reply to
Carl

Can't with standard involute gears, but the mod may use extended pitch gears.

Ned Simmons

What is the bike? Some have aftermarket gear sets that fix the issue across the board rather than by trying to stretch or swell a gear to match another - a risky operation IMHO.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

You can't . You'll be replacing a pair , as in main and countershaft 2nd gear pair . What kind of bike ?

Reply to
Snag

I think you're supposed to change one gear, as in one gear set. Replace

2nd gear for instance. Dad had a motorcycle shop in the 70's and Husqvarna was one of our lines. One of our sponsored riders didn't like the gear spread on his Husky and spent some time going through our parts books, ended up ordering a couple gear pairs from different models to get the exact spread he wanted. Just gotta know where to get a compatible pair of gears in the ratio you want. It was easy with the Husky as the basic engine was more or less the same across several models and years, save for port timing and gearing differences. If it's a modern J-bike, could be real interesting finding something that'll work.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

This is for a Honda XR650L, very similar engine to an NX650.

All the parts in the trans are the same between the two except for one gear, and I assure you this does work and there are bikes out there that have had this mod for thousands of miles.

Dave

Reply to
Dave__67

That makes sense given some of what I've read on why people think it works.

Dave

Reply to
Dave__67

It's called a modified tooth profile, modified addendum, addendum shift, et al... Done every day. Not a big deal. Rather straight forward. I always find it very amusing that it's basically only old machinery users that don't know about it or think it can't be done because they're so used to standard gears and moveable center distances. In the rest of the world, we deal with envelope constraints every day and "standard gears" are not the standard.

Reply to
SSM