looking for a spur gear

I am looking for a simple spur gear for an 13x48 Turnmaster lathe. The company has told me it would be very expensive and to look for it elsewhere. I measured the gear it is 5.750 diameter .600 wide and has a 1.375 mounting hole. The number of teeth is 96. I can modify the mounting hole and width as long as the diameter and teeth count are correct if I can find something close.

The gear had a 1/2"ring of plastic teeth with a steel center, I'll take aluminum or whatever else I can find it in.

Thanks

Harley

Reply to
Harley

Where are you? You should also know the diametral pitch and pressure angle of the tooth. Maybe someone in your area has a set of gear tooth gages you can use.

Grant Erw> I am looking for a simple spur gear for an 13x48 Turnmaster lathe. The

Reply to
Grant Erwin

[ ... ]

Hmm ... isn't the Turnmaster one of the Imports from either Taiwan or China? If so, instead of a diametrical pitch, it will probably be a "module" (the metric gear specification). I'm not sure whether all module gears are the same pressure angle, so that may or may not be a problem.

A metric set will probably be needed.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Harley wrote, in part:

harley, you're =also= gonna NEED to know, for certain, the pressure angle of the teeth, and it'd be very helpful (though possibly not imperative) to know if the center distance between the two gears is 'fixed' or 'variable somewhat'...

by the way: browning (amongst others) can probably supply you the gear...in similar circumstances to yours, I've done stuff like attach gear HUBS (from gears with badly mangled teeth but complex, multi-tapered hubs with slanted keyways) to new "outer gear teeth" (essentially, that means "ring gears custom-made from 'stock' browning gears"). shrink-fits, taper pins and allen-head shoulder bolts were involved...your methods may vary :-)

good luck,

dave

Reply to
dave

It sounds like a metric Module 1.5 gear. My print catalog from Ametric jumps from 95 to 100 teeth. You might try online,

,or see if they can special order a

96T. Check the dimensions carefully and verify the pressure angle before ordering.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons