Gears again - identifying

This 16T gear is on the input (left) side of the box, on the shaft with the main gear-stack. The gears on the left are 16/32-16/32-16, turning independently on bronze bushings, then a cast boss extending from the case, then the multi-gear progressive stack which are keyed to the shaft.

It meshes with a 32-tooth gear on one side and the change-lever gear on the other side. The power flow goes:

Input stub shaft gear Center shaft, left side (the gear in question is here) left change lever gear Change lever shaft Right change lever gear stepped gears gear on leadscrew or gear on power apron drive shaft.

Reply to
Rex B

It was me. And no, I didn't suggest it. Because it wouldn't fit and it is damned uncommon.

It has to do with logic. ;-) In the standard, there are arithmetic rows. These are grouped. The most preferred group is the one most common. I.e. Mod. 1, Mod. 1.5. The next group contains Mod. 1,25. The 3rd group (and you need to have a lot of reason to select from this) contains Mod. 1.125. Chances are damned low, that anybody would use a module from the 3rd group. Chances that you get a stock gear from that group in _any_ shop are even lower.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Yes. In most cases, you will find one one or two pairs that are standard. The others are non-standard. But, and I asked that Rex, if you do have a norton gear-box, all gears are very likely to be standard.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller