Drawn Pinion Wire Small Quantity Source

I'm trying to salvage a decent quality paper shredder in perfect working order save that the shaft end of the final gear in the gear train that drives the cutter rollers sheared off.

After perusing online and thru some old Boston Gear and Torrington catalogues I happened to have, I was able to determing that the failed part was fabricated from "drawn pinion wire".

Best I can determine the specs on the part are these;

6 teeth

OD (tooth tip to tooth tip) of .332 inches (measured)

Pitch diameter of .250 (implied from Rush Gears Inc table and eyeballed on failed part)

Pressure angle "looks" to be 14.5 degrees.....(eyeballed from generic online diagram comparing 14.5 degrees PA to 20 degrees PA)

The pressure angle is really a complete guess. With decent quality calipers the thickness of one gear spur at it's root is about .065 inches. The width of the opening between two adjacent gear spurs at the root was about .045 inches. The "ID"? across the pinion diameter from "root to root" is about .152 inches.

The part is 1.5 inches long.

Two questions;

Based on the above, is there any clear indication what the pressure angle is?

Does anybody here know of a source for this small size drawn pinion wire in a small quantity. At a bare minimum I need 1.5 inches but I'd like to get some extra in case I booger the required lathe turning operations to finish the part out.

I'm going to call Rush Gears Inc 1-800 number tommorow, see what they have but I suspect I'm looking at a minimum order far in excess of what I need. Thought I'd see what I could shake loose here in the mean time.

Thanks for any insight,

Dennis van Dam

Reply to
Dennis van Dam

Dennis, Try Stock Drive Products

part number A 1C

9-N24006 Paul
Reply to
Paul

Paul,

Thanks for the reply, I think that's exactly what I'm looking for. Reasonable price for reasonable quantity. Still a bit unsure if what I've got is 14.5 degree pressure angle or 20 degree pressure angle but I'll get that sorted out. (Besides looking more like the 14.5 degree diagram it seems to be the more common configuration in this size drawn pinion wire.)

Thanks again, you've been most helpful!

Dennis van Dam

Reply to
Dennis van Dam