Source for 'Round' rack and pinion gear

I was given a small (about 8 inches overall height) arbor press which had frozen up. I was able to finally get it apart and see that the pinion has a couple mangled teeth. Hopefully I can replace it cheaply and ..... Both the rack and pinion are 0.374 inch Diameter. Looks like the rack has about

11 teeth per inch.

Anybody know of a good source for same (or similar) round rack and pinions?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Ace

Reply to
Ace

That sounds like a very light unit. I suggest simply replacing it. But if you want to, you can actually fix yours. File the broken teeth off, braze the entire gap solid, and file new teeth into the brazing material. Probably strong enough for that thing. And it will let you brush up on your brazing and filing chops.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Try this link:

Eric R Snow

Have you checked the Boston Gear catalog? If they don't have a match, they might have something better. That said, it might be time to buy a new one, they're cheap enough and good for decades even if you buy chicom stuff.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

So turn a "rack"! Just space a bunch of grooves on the ram to match the pitch of the pinion. Should be good enough for the light duty that that thing is good for. Alternatively, a chink unit will be cheap and have far more capacity than that little unit. Sounds like something used for benchrest reloading with straightline dies.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Reply to
Mike Berger

Thanks Eric,

I'll give these folks a call. It's the mating pinion that is all buggered up, and they should have one.

Reply to
Ace

Up front, I want you to know I agree with your sentiments so maybe you can explain the double standard. Why is only the "n-word" unspeakable and not the "c-word" and "s-word"? And the "h-word", "g-word" (twice), "p-word", "r-word", "b-word", etc?

--Andy Asberry--

------Texas-----

Reply to
Andy Asberry

Dunno, I've been called a Gwilo, a Yonguk, a Honky and a short, fat bastard in my time. Are those ok?

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

I have been called on the carpet for using the term "chinaman" being corrected that it was in fact a pejorative term. While I have since avoided using "chinaman" in any context where offense may be inferred, I am at a loss to understand why it is so when words like Scotsman, Norseman, and the like are never considered pejorative.

I had previously considered that "chinaman" simply rolls off the tongue of an English speaker with greater ease than "chineseman", and hence this is why it had been adopted. One makes these assumptions at their own risk.

-

Roger Shoaf

About the time I had mastered getting the toothpaste back in the tube, then they come up with this striped stuff.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf