Tungsten wire source?

Anyone know where I can get about 3 feet of 1-2 mm dia tungsten wire (pure tungsten, not sintered as in welding tungstens, it will have to be
bent) at a non-silly price?
Thanks,
-- Peter Fairbrother
from Peter Fairbrother

I have used The Scientific Wire Company in the past and although their 'craft work' website lists tungsten the largest they show is 0.1mm. An enquiry to their main company may prove useful - tel 020 855 0002.
JG
On or around Mon, 08 Sep 2008 01:33:11 +0100, Peter Fairbrother

why, you trying to make a 5000W light bulb?
On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 09:53:14 +0100, Austin Shackles

He's probably trying to make an ignitor for a 5MW roman candle :-)
Mark Rand RTFM
Mark Rand wrote:

:)
See if you can guess. It's quite a specific thing.
The other "ingredients" are a 95mm dia by 150 mm lump of EN24, jewellery beads, ground glass, a transformer + wiring, nuts'n'bolts.
-- Peter Fairbrother

You are building a 12" to the foot scale model of one of Thomas Crappers first high level flush bogs ?
John S wrote:

Is that the one which drops a large weight on your head, poisons you with ground glass, then electrocutes you?
But what are the jewels for?
-- Peter Fairbrother
John S wrote:

Is that the one which bolts you in place, drops a large weight on your head, poisons you with ground glass, garottes you with tugsten wire, then electrocutes you?
But what are the jewels for?
-- Peter Fairbrother
On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 18:31:35 +0100, Peter Fairbrother

Decoration?
Regards, Tony
Tony Jeffree wrote:

I doubt they would need decoration - that model was only for the most constipated (scared the c**p out of them).
-- Peter Fairbrother
Peter Fairbrother wrote:

A hint or two - the jewels are cubic zirconia. They usually use argon too (but I'm not going to).
-- Peter
On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 18:54:39 +0100, Peter Fairbrother

Building a laser?
Regards, Tony
Tony Jeffree wrote:

It's just a "phase" people go through ;-)
Tony Jeffree wrote:

Not even close.
-- Peter
On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 00:22:53 +0100, Peter Fairbrother

DIY Nikasil?
--
-Pip

Pip Luscher wrote:

Not quite - but it's close enough that I'll tell.
It's a small hot isostatic press, for pressing very small silicon nitride parts at 1600C, 50,000 psi.
HIPs are usually filled with argon at very high pressure, but I thought that would be too dangerous for my liking, so I'm going to fill it with molten glass instead. Pressure will be applied by screwing a bolt into it.
The tungsten wire heats it up from the inside (the EN24 shell is cooled with water). The cubic zirconia is for thermal insulation, which goes inside the EN24 pressure vessel - perhaps strangely, jewels were the cheapest source of CZ crystals I could find.
-- peter f
On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 16:09:19 +0100, Peter Fairbrother

Swarf?
Regards, Tony
message enlightened us thusly:

Sounds like the stuff used for aluminising filaments in high vacuum chambers????
Steve R.
Steve R. wrote:

Closer, but there's no vacuum involved - quite the opposite.
On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 16:31:19 +0100, Peter Fairbrother wrote:

Have you thought about Henry Wiggins?
--
Neil
reverse ra and delete l