Steel and various bar stock going cheap

A friend in Sussex is chucking out a vast amount of bar stock in various sizes which I've only just found out about. He's already weighed in over a
ton of mild steel for a paltry 70 a ton at the scrappies. Drat. I'm trying to find out what's left and see if he'll keep it for a bit longer but he badly needs that room cleared.
Next stuff to go will be a ton or so of 316 stainless bar stock which is worth a lot at the scrappies but maybe more to someone on here. Also there's some Hasteloy, Inconel, Phosphor Bronze and various other stuff including EN24 and EN32 which I'm trying to get him to list out for me.
Does any of the above sound useful to anyone? Got a particular bar stock need which I can ask him about?
--
Dave Baker

various
over a

trying
but he

which is

there's
including
stock
Where abouts in Sussex Dave?
AWEM

Darn sarf, near Burgess Hill.
--
Dave Baker

I've grown to quite like working with EN24 and could probably find a use for a few lengths of Phosphor Bronze and any 400 series stainless. Cast iron is always useful. Can't think of a use for EN32 though...
Can only cope with middled lengths in the Metro unless anyone else needs enough to make a Transit trip worthwhile. If so, could cut down to car sized lengths and re-distribute at the Midlands model engineering show :-)
--
Mark Rand
RTFM

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 14:06:45 +0100, Mark Rand

Myford spindles? These are case hardened EN32 .
Can I stick my hand up for some EN24 if there is any left please? Anything in 1" - 4" would be handy.
Peter
On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 14:06:45 +0100, Mark Rand

Hello chaps, I have been having problems with my ISP recently and only just caught up with this thread. I'd be interested in a selection of En24 & 32 and some bronze, probably some machinable mild steel as well if it's there.
Burgess Hill is not a million miles off some of my semi regular routes and I have got an ugly old 1 1/2ton trailer I'm happy to load with whatever is required if it helps get it before the scrappie.
Richard
Dave Baker wrote:

I'd be interested in any Inconel or Hastelloy that's going, mainly because it's hard to get at non-silly prices.
Also looking for some 80mm/3" dia EN24/EN32 or similar, about 350mm.
-- Peter Fairbrother

I could find a use for EN24 and phosphor bronze and if there's any there, some cast iron would be handy. I'd be happy to arrange transport along with any others interested as I can't really move this in my car (unless they're short lengths that fit in the boot). Martin
--

writes

Like many of the others, I would be interested in some EN24 in any sizes up to 3" dia, and in some 316 SS, inconel and PB.
I live in SE London, so Burgess Hill is not too far away, but I'd need to get my wife to drive me as I am currently unable to drive (lost right leg, waiting for prosthesis). On the other hand, as I won't be able to use my workshop for a few weeks, I don't mind offering space for a temporary lay-down area, so if your friend really needs to get the stuff out quickly we could use my space as a pick-up point. Would need something more than a saloon car to move that much stuff though, and I'm not in a position to do that right now...
I also have a power hacksaw if any of the pick-ups need size reducing to fit car.
David
--
David Littlewood

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 12:09:58 +0100, David Littlewood

Blimey David, very sorry to hear that. Hope the rest of you is ok.
Peter

Thanks for the sentiment, Peter. The rest of me is OK as far as I know apart from the other leg, as described below.
I had some gradually worsening circulation problems in my lower legs (both) over the last 10 years - turned out a couple of the arteries there had gradually blocked up. Then 8 weeks ago my right leg just packed up - the superficial femoral artery (the one that takes blood below the knee) was completely blocked. A heroic attempted double by-pass failed, leaving me with an almost dead foot - there are worse things in life than losing a leg, and that's one of them! Eventually I had to lose the right leg above the knee, but my prosthetic leg is now ready and I'm learning to walk again.
Anyone else in the group with similar problems? Would like to compare notes on how it affects workshop use.
And, for anyone else suffering from numb feet, *get it looked at - now*. I had already made moves to get my symptoms checked out, but the glacial pace of the NHS for non-emergency referrals meant my scan was scheduled for 10 days after this blew up, and in fact the day before my first op. Everyone reads a lot about DVTs, but, as the vascular registrar said to me, vein problems usually sort themselves out, but artery problems are *serious*.
I do have to go back in for a by-pass on the left leg in a couple of months, to avoid the same thing happening to that as well. Turns out I had aneurysms in several arteries, something I inherited from my mother - there is apparently a strong genetic element in this; aneurysms are very prone to causing blockages if left unattended.
David
--
David Littlewood

David Littlewood wrote:

Crikey! I'd not have guessed from your posts. My commiserations.

I haven't lost a leg, so can't give much in the way of direct experience - but I have lost several fingers and parts of fingers, and have other damage to my hands, eg neither thumb works properly, so I can talk from experience more generally.
In a way damage to hands is perhaps worse, as it's a much more visible injury, and people stare - though not as much as at people with disfigured faces. You get used to that though, after a while you just ignore it completely unless someone, usually a child, asks.
I have never minded children asking (or even polite adults asking, it's natural to be curious about these things) - it was the reaction of adults, telling the child not to stare/be so rude/whatever, which used to annoy and sometimes embarrass me. But it doesn't seem to happen nowadays - I ignore it, to the extent that I seldom even think of it, and to a large extent people don't even notice any more.
Your attitude is more important than theirs - if you ignore it, other people will usually ignore it too.
A slight limp however is not very noticeable or unusual, and I don't think people will notice at all, or remember, after a short time.
Quite recently my sister asked me to do a job which was obviously for the ten-fingered only - she had forgotten I don't have ten fingers (despite the injuries to my hands I often get asked to pull splinters out, change plugs, and do other fiddly jobs, as I'm better than most at them - the partial lack of dexterity and touch sensation is made up for by learned good hand-eye coordination, and knowing more about hands work than most people do).
There will be some things you can never do again - for instance I can never play the Bagpipes again properly, I don't know whether that is a curse or a blessing though. I don't think you could be an Olympic runner now (except maybe in the paralympics, which you just got the initial qualification for - you have only to work on a qualifying time now :)
These impossible things however are rare indeed, and almost everything will still be possible.
More so of course if you are "determined", though I don't know whether determination or willpower (or bravery - people said I was brave, which was nice but completely untrue, even bewildering) really comes into it.
A little bravery and determination can help with the initial healing, but once the pain is gone it's mostly irrelevant - a little ingenuity is far more useful.
It's more a question of whether you sink in a cycle of self-pity and self-doubt or not - you are left with a choice, either you just try and do it, when you will almost always eventually succeed; or you feel sorry for yourself. And while you can feel sorry for yourself for a time, it gets awfully boring.
If you realise that, willpower and/or determination aren't involved any more, you just get on with things. At any rate it was that way for me, much easier than giving up ciggies. I don't think you will have a problem with this, you don't seem the type.
I don't think you will have much difficulty in a workshop either. Maybe get a stool until the stump heals and hardens, and some levers or whatnot for moving heavy things around?
-- Peter Fairbrother

legs
arteries
blood
worse
Eventually I

now
I nearly went down the pub last Friday leaving my false eye in the bathroom (take it out when showering to give the socket a good wash). It seemed to be itching, and when I rubbed it it wasn't there!!!! Now that would have given them something to talk about <G>
AWEM
ps Dave I'll have that hardness tester back soon as the workshop is now coming together
Andrew Mawson wrote:

I'll raise you three broken vertebrae and two gunshot wounds (one .22 long, lower leg; one 9mm, hip+pelvis).
Pretty measly raise, but as it's table stakes ...
-- Peter Fairbrother
Peter Fairbrother wrote:

(with temporary paraplegia - I don't like to remember that0
and two gunshot wounds (one .22

Peter Fairbrother wrote:

.. and I've lost count of the ?40 broken ribs and the ?7 concussions; plus the broken arm/wrist which took 20 months in plaster, the broken shinbone, cheekbone, base-of-brain (twice), the little broken bone in my foot which still hasn't healed 40 years later ..
.. admittedly almost all these were at least partly self-inflicted, in that while sometimes other people did the actual injury, if I hadn't put myself in what I knew was a dangerous situation ..
.. one of the base-of-brain fractures wasn't my fault though, a case of mistaken identity. And I don't feel in any way responsible for a few of the broken ribs, or the bone in my foot either.
Or the cut-off nose (now replaced almost invisibly - my Dad did that, by mistake, with a china rose, when I was about 6 - it was originally stuck back on with sellotape). Broken it a few times since then though.
Is this typical? Anyone else here have that number of injuries?
A full and exciting life is one thing, but ...
I can't think when I have ever injured anyone else with my "recklessness" though, other than a small burn to a finger once, and a few non-physical injuries I won't mention here. Thank goodness.
I nearly did worse once - I threw a knife between my girlfriend's hair and her ear. I was pretty good with knives then, but really, that wasn't safe (she didn't mind, but the Hell's Angels bikers who were there did). I didn't do it again.
I'm trying for quiet times now. Rocketry notwithstanding; I understand rocketry somewhat, and I know and understand that I don't understand it completely.
-- Peter Fairbrother
ps, apropos nothing at all: I used to work with phocomelic (no arms or legs, or only parts of them) Thalidomide kids (they were about 4-6) when I was 14 and stuck in hospital. They were brilliant!
Also my once-flatmate works with the congenitally-blind-and-deaf, they are !Trouble!- in the pub. :) (she talks to them by touching their hands, a bit like sign language by touch - I only know a few of the rude words though)
but the stories probably belong in a blog or somewhere, and not here. Probably like this post.
On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 00:30:22 +0100, Peter Fairbrother

    I'll see your three broken vertebrae and two gunshot wounds, and I'll raise you a missing index finger (gunshot), two numb feet (chemical poisoning), a double incisional hernia and half a liver.
    Hold 'em or fold 'em kid!

Andrew,
No problem - well, apart from the fact that (at least in the next few weeks) I'll have to persuade my wife she really wants to visit that part of the world!. Just e-mail me details of how to find you and I'll get down there asap - let me know if it is urgent.
David
--
David Littlewood

just
double
is
wash).
Now
few
part
get
No hurry - wait 'till you are mobile. But then if Douglas Bader could climb back into his little MG with a walking stick for the clutch pedal, maybe it won't be too long in a modern automatic !
I wish you a speedy recovery
AWEM

Peter,
Thanks very much for the above advice (and the sentiments). No, I don't intend to wallow, just get on with it. Oddly, the hardest thing was coming out of hospital 10 days ago. From being a patient (and more mobile than almost all the others despite being in a wheelchair) and with nothing available that I wanted to do, to being someone of limited mobility at home, with a thousand things I wanted to do but couldn't, took some adjustment. I just decided it was a challenge to expand the envelope every day.
David
--
David Littlewood