tolerances on round bar stock

Anyone know what the tolerances are for TGP, bearing quality or accuracy stock? When you need shaft material to slip fit through a bearing which do you buy? It seems steel suppliers around here all have differant names for any bar that's not just mill tolerances.

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

My supplier specs the OD on 1045 TGP up to 1-1/2" as +.000/-.001. That's a good fit in pillow block bearings, and the price premium over

1018 or 12L14 cold drawn is not very great. But the standard length for TGP is 24' rather than 12'. Cold drawn is almost always much better than the promised tolerance, and a decent fit in pillow blocks, but obviously you can't count on it.
Reply to
Ned Simmons

Cold drawn is listed as +/-0.003" on one web site.

I can't find the specs on the others on the web sites of the suppliers I generally go to.

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy