What primer to use for aluminum

A few parts of the lathe that I am cleaning up now, are aluminum. I want to repaint it and want to select some primer that would stick to aluminum. Would you have any recommendations. The lathe would generally live a relatively sheltered life. Thanks

Ignoramus6241

Check with an autobody supply. There are also conversion coatings that leave an aluminum surface prepped for paint. Might not be available in small quantities. Really, if it's not going to be exposed to weather, any decent spray can stuff will stick well enough.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

No weather exposure, and no abuse is expected.

Ignoramus6241

There are a lot of surface prep solutions to use before the primer. FPL ( Forrest Product Labs ) etch is one of the good ones. Alodyne is another. And then there is acid etch primer. But I think you can get away without using any of those. But scrub the surface with Scotchbrite minutes before priming. If you use a Scotchbrite like product,then clean with acetone after the scrubbing. Products similar to Scotchbrite are likely to leave a residue.

=20 Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Use a two part self-etch primer containing phosphoric acid, the same as for the bare steel. Get it from an autobody paint supplier if you can't find it elsewhere.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Or you could leave it bare and let it oxidize. In a few hours to half a day it will oxidize on the surface and form its own protective layer.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Zinc Cromate is a long standing primer. Is available in spray cans. If Home Depot, does not carry, most marine stores do.

Reply to
Bill McKee

on 1/22/2010, Ignoramus6241 supposed :

NAPA Martin Senour primer in a spray can. #7220 (Self etching)

Wayne D.

Reply to
Wayne

Surface treatment is more important than primer selection. Find an autobody supply store in your area, get some Ditzler DX-533 Alumiprep. It's available in quarts. Follow the directions, treat the areas to be painted. Just about any good primer will level nicely and adhere well after this treatment.

Reply to
Don Foreman