Zamac bar stock?

Does anyone sell Zamac bar stock? I'm doing some repairs on a little sliding table saw and there's a little flange on the arbor that needs to be replaced. It's non-magnetic, appears to have been cast, and looks like the gears that were on my old Craftsman lathe.

McMaster-Carr sells a zinc alloy ingot that might work. It's 95% Zn, 4% Al, and 0.1% Cu, which seems to be pretty similar to Zamac 3 or 7. Would that alloy be machinable in a non-critical application?

Mike

Reply to
Mike Henry

????? Why not simply use aluminum and be done with it? Or steel?

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Reply to
Gunner

Good point and one I'd meant to ask about before getting distracted by Googling for Zamac. I was thinking that brass might make a nice contrast, though. The Zamac part can be seen on the arbor here:

It's the tapered "washer" on the RH side of the arbor. I'm wondering why Zamac was selected for this application and if the reason will influence the selection of an alternate material.

A page describing the saw is here:

's_saw.htm Mike

Reply to
Mike Henry

Good point and one I'd meant to ask about before getting distracted by Googling for Zamac. I was thinking that brass might make a nice color contrast, though. The Zamac part can be seen on the arbor here:

It's the tapered "washer" on the RH side of the arbor. I'm wondering why Zamac was selected for this application and if the reason will influence the selection of an alternate material.

A page describing the saw is here:

's_saw.htm Mike

Reply to
Mike Henry

Zmac (basicly pot metal) is used in many cases for one reason. Its cheap and easy to cast. Period.

Machining adds cost.

Use brass or anything that flips your dress up, and do it right.