How much for a 100g lump of Tungsten?

I need a smallish very dense weight for counter balancing something.
Is that barking? Can I get it supplied and machined for less?

--
Adrian C

On 13/01/2016 17:45, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

ISTR there are several tungsten alloys of different densities available for weights. 100 grams of "tungsten" darts would be cheaper than this.
I suspect that depleted uranium might be cheaper; if you can get hold of it!
On 13/01/16 17:50, newshound wrote:

MMm. What are fishing weights made3 on now? You might be able to cast them in resin and grind the thing down to the exact weight.
But Marxism is the crack cocaine.
On 13/01/16 17:45, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

Does it really need to be W? Would lead do - just over half the density, so cube root of 2 times the size in each direction.
On 13/01/16 18:08, Tim Watts wrote:

And lead is easy to cast.
twenty-first century?s developed world went into hysterical panic over a

As a guide: 1/4 lb. of tungsten powder in 5-7.5 micron is US $23 here:
http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_HDTP
Thomas Prufer
On 13/01/16 18:17, Thomas Prufer wrote:

here is interesting
http://www.strategicmetals.co.uk/
--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."

That looks like a potentially useful find. Dave
On 04/02/16 20:47, dave sanderson wrote:

asked them for a quote once, iirc it was about three hundred fifty quid for about twenty quids worth of stuff - I don't mind paying a bit more for small orders, or for rare stuff, but that was ridiculous.
Almost as bad as Goodfellows prices.
-- Peter Fairbrother
On 13/01/16 17:45, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

Depends.
Eg, for just the machining, in lots of about 10, excluding the cost of the bar, you could probably get some not-fool here to cut a 20mm pure tungsten bar into 20mm lengths, drill and tap, finish nicely, for about
alloy, density ~ 17.5g/cc, was used instead of pure tungsten.
Of course that does not include the cost of the bar - which is highly
Another possibility is casting tungsten powder in epoxy or similar.
cheap, casting is easy - though the density will be only about 13g/cc max, and probably less.
A third possibility is sintered tungsten powder alloy, cast/sintered in shape. Mix W powder with a fine nickel braze powder like nicrobraz 30, ram into moulds, induction heat. Very strong, density up to about 16 g/cc.
-- Peter Fairbrother
On 13/01/16 23:39, Peter Fairbrother wrote:

Thanks Peter and all,
Casting tungsten it is then :-)
Hmmm...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EAR-WEIGHT-TUNGSTEN-POWDER-FOR-TIPPING-DOGS-EARS-3oz-/401048463563
(Poor Dogs!)
--
Adrian C

On Wednesday, January 13, 2016 at 5:45:14 PM UTC, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

Have you thought of googling "tungsten carbide manufacturers" and seeing if there is one nearer enough to you to ask if they might have the odd scrap component that might serve your purpose?