get rid of mercaptant

Right. I have deodorized a number of tanks this way, including a

100#er. No trace of odor afterwards. Bob
Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Yeah, that LP stink is just the same. I use a couple of ends from LP tanks for scrap tubs, one sat outside the shop door for at least three years and when I went to cut a drain hole in the bottom that LP stink came right out again. Soaks into the steel, mean stuff.

John

Reply to
JohnM

True, but the thiols on that page are butyl-mercaptan derivatives. t-butyl mercaptan is what I think is added to natural gas - it is, in any event, rather unpleasant smelling stuff.

If you want to get rid of it, it can be oxidized into something that doesn't stink, but I don't remember what that is. A person wanting to neutralize the odor might try hydrogen peroxide as the web page suggests.

Fitch

Reply to
Fitch R. Williams