Snowblower hard to start (Tecumseh HMSK-80)

I have a old military surplus Bolens snowblower. A couple of years ago, when I bought it, I put in a brand new Tecumseh HMSK-80 engine instead of trying to fix the old 6 HP engine. (replacement was trivial)

It is somewhat difficult to start. I feel that it is so because I am not following a correct procedure and need some ideas.

I added an electric starter to this engine. (which is really great, very helpful in bad weather). It also has a throttle (fast/slow lever, with the boittom slowest position being OFF), and a choke.

My symptoms is that when I start it, at cold temps like 0 F, it sputters, runs very rough and wants me to press the fuel rubber button to supply extra fuel or else it dies.

I start it at idle speed, and tried various choke positions.

After a few tries like that, once it warms up a bit, it starts running a little better, at which point I slowly move it to a full speed running position.

Then it runs very strong and everything works great. It is a heavy snowblower and can get through anything. But I would like to know how to start these engines better.

I keep it outside, so it is as cold as ambient air, for example yesterday it was about 0F. If a couple of minutes with a heat gun would make a difference, I could try that. Any ideas?

Ignoramus29345

Try starting it at full throttle and full choke, as specified by Tecumseh in the Operator's Manual for the HMSK80.

Reply to
Seth Goodman

Will do, tonight. Thanks.

Ignoramus29345

trivial)

lever,

button

running

Do you have anything that isn't military surplus

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I have a spouse who is not military surplus

Ignoramus29345

Igor,

Good > I have a spouse who is not military surplus

Reply to
Dave Young

Reply to
JR North

Thanks for your suggestion.

When I realized that the snowblower needs a new engine, I bought a Tecumseh HMSK-80 motor, which had a electric starter capability. All I had to do was buy a starter separately, attach it to where it was supposed to be attached, and then find a place to mount a electric plug with the switch (part of starter package).

I love this electric starter, it makes things a lot easier when weather is bad.

Ignoramus29345

My dad's(Ahrens) always had that problem, he gave up and used starting fluid on it to the day he died. What I found out was if I adjusted the mixture in cold weather so it ran well, it always started right up with full choke and fast throttle. Was an 8 hp. engine(weren't proud enough to put a name on it), he always had to use the electric start. I could use the pull start after my tweaks and it only took a couple of pulls. He always did maintenance in the summer when it was 90 outside. By necessity, I had to work on it in sub-freezing weather, it apparently made a difference. Just something else to check, along with new plug and properly set ignition.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Least she wont admit it...

Gunner, who wont talk about his past relationships with his current, either. Political Correctness

Gunner

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Those Tecumseh snow king engines are pretty good, but they are very fussy about carbs.

First, try following the directions as another poster suggested: start at full throttle and full choke, not idle.

But, since it doesn't run smoothly when it does start, I suspect the carb. They do not like to be stored with fuel in them, certainly not over a summer season.

I do a full rebuild of the carb every 5 years on mine. The "kit" costs about $20. I now take the carb to a guy who, for another 10 bux cleans it like new, installs the kit, and adjusts it so it starts on first pull when bolted back onto the snowblower. I run the carb dry after each use and stabilize any remaaining fuel in the spring. It starts first pull every time for 5 years, and then I rebuild the carb because I purely hate it when we get a significant snowfall and the damned thing won't start. Mine has electric start but I never need to use it, even first go at first snowfall after its summer vacation. I keep it outdoors. It starts at -10F as well as at +30.

Reply to
Don Foreman

I am glad that you like them. It seems to be a strong, neatly built engine.

Will do.

I thought that I ran it out of fuel on both seasons. (ie, I would run it, then close the fuel valve and wait until the engine dies from lack of fuel).

After the season ends, I will also buy a kit and will try to rebuild this carb (and, like you, I would prefer someone else to do it, as I have very bad luck with carbs, both in engines and in food).

Ignoramus29345

Check fuel supply, from tank to carb jet. A clogged fuel filter, crimped tube, or a small particle in the float valve or jet can cause the symptom you describe.

Reply to
jwdoylejr

I purchased a Sears 5.5 HP generator with a Tecumseh motor, (right after

9/11), no electric start. I have no means of heating my house if the Arabs take down the power grid. Especially when it is 30 below. Right from the beginning (summer) it was next to impossible to start (I live at 5300 feet ASL). I went through the manual and did exactly as directed. Less than 4 hours on the motor, and it already has had the 3 oil changes recommended. The Sears owners were not co-operative in any manner. More or less said 'no warranty', no assistance. I press the red primer bulb the recommended 5 times, and since it is an updraft type carb, I eventually get fuel running out of the intake. It refuses to start. Since there is no choke on these monsters, I found a rubber plug that I can hold in the intake while pulling the rope. It will start roughly then, very roughly, and one has to play the game and choke it and then give it air, until it finally takes off. There has to be fuel present in the intake before the hand choking method works. It is a single speed engine. Since I depend on this machine in sub-freezing weather, I run it every 3 months for 20 minutes, until the carb is dry, and then store it inside the house (empty tank). I use stablized fuel. I have a 50 ml plastic bottle of gasoline, with an eye dropper, on my patio. I found out that with one squirt of gasoline, directly into the cylinder head, I can usually get it running (very roughly at first), on first or second pull. I wish someone at Tecumseh would be smart enough to put chokes on their mistakes. It appears that by hand starting, there is not enough air movement in the manifold to generate the rush needed to get sufficient gas into the cylinder. Even when hand choking, it takes more than one pull to finally get it to coughing. I doubt it would ever start, by any manner, if kept outside in sub-freezing weather. I refrain from using ether, as it is hard on components. I haven't tried propane, but it's a thought. Any experiences, or ideas? I have a Sears 4.5 HP Tecumseh mower and it is no problem at all (summertime of course). Most likely, this is my last Tecumseh machine.
Reply to
theChas.

Tecumseh motors just plain suck.......never did make a decent motor. Put that crappy gen set on craigs list and get rid of it and buy one with a honda motor and be done messing around with a wanna be engine.

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 14:20:40 -0700, "theChas." wrote: I purchased a Sears 5.5 HP generator with a Tecumseh motor, (right after

[...]

------- I forgot more about ponds and koi than I'll ever know!

Reply to
Tristan

A few. Most seasonal items have trouble starting because they have bad gas. Smells like turpentine. It sits for the good part of a year and evaporates and changes chemically.

Here's what I'd do:

Drain the gas when you're through with it for the season. Squirt a couple of squirts of 3 in 1 oil or 10w through the plug hole with the cylinder at bottom. Rotate the flywheel a couple of times. Put the plug back in. Nothing special on starting, except, of course (duh) to put some fresh gas in there and hope all things rubber haven't dried out and gone to dust in the meantime.

Before you know you will need it, move it to a half way warm place if your wife will allow it. Maybe just put a heat lamp on it overnight. Simple.

Have you ever thought of moving to Phoenix? People there don't even know what snowblowers are.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Probably not your issue, but I went to full synthetic oil in my old snow blower this year. It's a lot easier to pull start. Also it mostly starts on the first pull instead of several.

Wayne D.

Reply to
Wayne

theChas, I have a real aversion to these cheap generators, they are not made to be actually used.

Ignoramus29345

Are you sure? ;)

Reply to
Nick Hull