tecumseh engine

Hi all,

Not sure this is the right place to ask but please be kind!

I am trying to get my 8 year son into engines. Today we have removed the Tecumseh engine (side vale, plastic cam) from the old lawn mower and have tried to split the crank case. It comes apart about 20mm but will come no further, it fells like there is a circlip or something stopping it. The cam has come out of the bearing in the main part of the case.

Does anybody know what is stopping it coming completly apart? It is only hanging on the crank.

The plan is to mount the engine on a frame with a small battery and an alternator with lights, or someting else to act as load for the engine, this should teach him welding, electrics, belt alignment etc.

Thansk

Steve

Reply to
steven marshall

--Hmmm mayhap time to pull apart a model airplane engine instead? ;-)

Reply to
steamer

Normally you clean the PTO side of the crankshaft to remove dirt, corrossion and small burrs before removal. Push the case back together to clean the exposed part of the crank and try again.

Reply to
bw

Probably just corrosion/grime on the external side of the crank - my B&S engines always need a little persuasion before they'll split. I seem to recall using some scrap pieces of wood as levers at one point, just to distribute the force a little more evenly (and to not damage the gasket surfaces) as I pried things apart.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson