Lawn mower engine

I have a Villiers I think MK7 engine off an Atco lawn mower. I need to
remove the flywheel to replace the points. There is a large hexagon with a
thread inside it and I can turn it about two turns both ways and then stops.
Question is this the extraction nut and if so which way do I turn it. The
tread is right hand in the hexagon.
Reply to
Bill
I don't know the Villiers engine, but on motorbike flywheels built like this they normally sit keyed on a taper and you generally just screw a bolt (the extractor) down through the middle which will push the flywheel off when it butts up against the end of the crank.
From experience they usually use an odd bastard thread to avoid this being done unintentionally.
Peter
Reply to
Peter Neill
No these are self extracting flywheels, just keep undoing the nut and it will remove it from the taper, no extractor needed. -- Regards,
John Stevenson Nottingham, England.
John Stevenson
On many Villiers they use a tool similare to the bicycle crank removal tools although on a larger scale. The tool is screwed into the thread on the flywheel and the bolt in the middle is screwed down to contact the shaft firmly, then give a whack with a soft faced hammer (e.g. rawhide or lead) and this should release it enough to screw the bolt in to extract the flywheel.
Reply to
Neil Ellwood
Don't know if this history helps you:
BugBear
Reply to
bugbear
BugBear
I have a picture of the extractor in use. See
Dave Croft
John is right - Villiers lawnmower flywheels simply come off by keeping on unscrewing the nut. Nothing more complicated than that.
Reply to
wrigglymonkey
Spot on again John Thanks and no key just timing arrows
Reply to
Bill
No surprises there:) Yet again I have managed to stay consistent with my habit of being wrong with alarming regularity. If I wasn't so enthusiastic (as opposed to well-informed) I'd get a complex about it.
Peter
Reply to
Peter Neill
I was thinking the same as you Peter that's why I posted the question and we both can know answer it.
Reply to
Bill
If it is on a taper like a Villiers motorcycle engine the fun will come when you attempt to tighten it without moving the flywheel relative to the shaft. The recommended procedure is to use a Villiers "hammer type" spanner which is a hefty ring spanner with a large flat knob/block on the end. You time the engine and tighten the nut with the spanner in the normal way but not tight enough to move the flywheel. Then ,without restraining the flywheel , you smite the spanner with a hammer and let the engine rotate until it gets fed up.Don't do it with with the plug in. Good Luck, Jim.
Reply to
James Lugsden
you attempt to tighten it without moving the flywheel
type" spanner which is a hefty ring spanner with a
the spanner in the normal way but not tight enough
spanner with a hammer and let the engine rotate until
Hi Jim, see the picture link I posted earlier on this topic.
Reply to
Dave Croft