Motor for lathe

I've been lucky enough to find, and have bought but not yet collected, a Colchester Triumph 2000, which appears to be in pretty good nick, for =A3250.

According to Tony Griffiths (lathes.co.uk) it has a 7 1/2 3 phase motor. Apart from not having 3 phase, the fairly long underground cable to my garage is only rated at about 39amps and is protected by a 32A MCB in the main consumer unit. My present old Triumph (made in 1930), which has a 3 HP single phase motor, dips the lights quite badly when starting up but, of course, doesn't have a clutch like the 2000.

As I don't need to take heavy cuts I'm thinking of fitting a 2 or 3 HP single phase motor to the new machine plus a small inverter to drive the, presumed, 3 phase suds pump and contactors if they have 415V coils.

I'd be most grateful for on comments on my proposal or suggestions for alternatives.

Bob

Reply to
BobKellock

mark

Nothing ?

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Technical error John.Known as a ID ten tee.

What I thought I posted was:- Bear in mind that a single phase motor pulls approx eleven times full load on startup.A three phase pulls about four times.Therefore the

7.5hp 3ph will not pull any more than the 3hp single phase.On that reckoning the startup load on three phase should be slightly less than you have at the moment. I have had for several years a few 20hp motors running of 30 amp fuses on direct start with about half load on them at start up with no problems.The cable admittedly is only about 30ft long 6mm 4 core SWA. So unless the length of your cable is causing a large voltage drop I wouldn`t worry too much about it. regards,Mark.
Reply to
mark