hydraulic snowblower

"The Kid" scored a 60" Arps tractor snowblower at an auction today...

He wants to run it on his skid steer. Just cut off the three point, put on a hydraulic motor and mount plate. His question, which hydraulic motor?

He's got 10.5 GPM at 2000PSI on the skid steer. The blower should run

500 RPM. OK, I'd do 10gpm*231 in3/gal is 2310 in3/min 2310in3/500 is 4.6in3 motor

more to it than just getting one of the bottom three selections from surplus center?

What hp will he get to the blower? I got 13hp but I'm probably doing something wrong so I won't share my work At any rate, I'm telling him he's going to be limited on blowing power. My 72" PTO blower can bring a 60 horse tractor to its knees.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

He doesn't have enough flow really. The common 60" rigs for skid steers take closer to 20-30 gpm.

Most of the ones for lower flow use twin motors, one for the auger and one for the impeller.

Reply to
Steve W.

I would tend to agree, the skid steers I have used had an extra button for "high flow hydraulics" to handle some of the bigger attachments. Inadequate RPM on the second stage is the kiss of death for a snowblower.

My thought would be to get a nice surplus diesel engine and make the attachment self powered. Some commercial attachments are like that, I recall a compact asphalt miller attachment for parking lot work that has a 24hp diesel on it and the skid steer just provides lift and movement.

Reply to
Pete C.

I agree, don't think his pump is big enough. I re-did the Hp. calc and got 12. Now, he's going to try this, after all, dad's not that smart. I don't see how doubling the expense by using two motors would make much difference.

The question is, will 12 horses to a 60" blower be able to do anything? Or just stall? He ain't got the money to buy a tractor. Maybe I'd best loan him one this winter. (He don't like the one I loan

- no cab)

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Won't without the flow needed. The twin motor designs eliminate the gearboxes and chains used on most PTO style units and allows a bit less power to run them.

I doubt it will do a lot. BUT He could add a larger pump to the skid steer.

Reply to
Steve W.