Getting Jacobs chuck off arbor

Last resort:

Make tapered cavity in a piece of 1.5" dia CRS that matches the nose taper on the chuck. Clamp this to the chuch in a large vise, with parallels on the back of the chuck to clear the arbor, with a little room for the arbor to move until the back of the vise arrests it's imminent flight.

Machine tapered hole in side of CRS to accept .40 S&W round with bullet removed....... some key details left to your imagination....

Reply to
Don Foreman

Have you opened it full open and checked for a screw ? - like hand drills... Maybe someone 'fixed it'.

Maybe there is a hole for a pin punch. Maybe you can drill a hole.

Martin

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

xray wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

See if you can clamp down the tang in a vice. Then - using the vice as a pry point - pry against a short pipe that was slid over or a large washer ....

e.g. - try to protect the back of the chuck.

Martin

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

xray wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Maybe a bingo there - My wood lathe does screw on a chuck or a B.B. center.

Then - chuck a hex key or such - into the chuck - put it in the vice and grab on the tang to turn...

Martin

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Al A. wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Martin,

I got it off several days ago. I posted about that, but added to the message title, so it doesn't show up in this message thread.

I got it with the same basic method I had been using. I drilled the hole through the center a little bigger so I could use a bigger punch and a bigger hammer.

Reply to
xray