Attaching drill chuck to arbor

What's the correct way to attach a drill chuck to an arbor? The chuck in question is a small one, 0.3-6mm capacity, with a JT1 taper for the arbor. Do I do something involving tapping with a hammer, or some sort of press?

Reply to
Wally

From the Jacobs web site:

"Clean both tapers. With the jaws retracted into the chuck and with the chuck nose resting on a wooden bench strike the tang of the arbor lightly to seat it into the chuck. Do not assemble in an arbor press as excessive pressure will expand the chuck body and distort the chuck jaw holes."

In practice I've found a larger one needed a few good wacks with a copper hammer.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Thanks. I'll give it a tap or three and see if it resists being pulled apart by hand.

Reply to
Wally