Getting started and tool reccomendations

A good way to protect file is to over them with cut up bicycle inner tubes. Any bike shop will give you a few, ask for the skinny ones (700 x 20) they stretch to accommodate large files.

Starret, Kurt, Palmgren, vises to work with

Reply to
Kent Frazier

I'm planning to buy a good hacksaw tomorrow. Searched for good hacksaws, found mention of one company I don't know about: Klein. I don't like the tubular top bar, but it has the top tensioner you mention. The Cooper/Nicholson high tension hacksaw looks like it's reasonable. (Not the 4-in-1 Nicholson gewgaw.) The Stanley and cheap clones won't do: the tensioning screw bottoms out too soon. Readers' favorites?

Anyone have problems with the blade retaining lugs snapping off, on any hacksaw brand?

I borrowed SWMBO's sewing machine and made file sleeves from old blue jean legs. OP: don't forget to put good handles on your files. Drill a hole in a chunk of broomstick--works just fine. Oh, and don't waste your money on Indian or Korean files. Get US-made Nicholson at least.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

The top two on this page...

There are quite a few other makers of frames with the tensioner below the handle like these - much nicer than those with the tension rod on top that I'm familiar with. I have similar Starrett that's pretty good, but I prefer the Lenox.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

I have one like the Lenox 4012, and I have to say it's been one of the best tool investments I've ever made. Generally, anything 1/2" or less gets cut by hand because it's quicker than geting out the 4x6 horizontal bandsaw. The difference between the high-tension frame and the crappy old-style low-tension frames is huge. I hope never to go back...

I bought mine at Lowes or Home Depot.

Reply to
jpolaski