Good book on operating a mill

Would anyone recommend a good book that teaches one how to be a mill operator and how to use one correctly. Thanks

Ignoramus584

Try this link:

Lindsay sells a book called, I think, Advanced Machine Work, or something like that. It is old, but its method is to take you through several examples, all the way down to oiling the machine and cleaning up between jobs.

There is also a pretty good video tape on basic vertical mill operation that I bought years ago. If you are interested, email me off line and I can loan it to you.

Pete Stanaitis

-----------------------

Ignoramus584 wrote:

Reply to
spaco

Thank you, this link is great, I printed out the milling chapter.

Ignoramus584

=========== see

available at other outlets at possibly a cheaper price.
on 215 hits

Very good book and worth the money.

Be sure and check Lindsay's books out as these are reprints and cover techniques no longer used in industry, but which can be very helpful to the hobby/home shop machinist. Just remember that the reprints are from the 1930s and earlier, and some of the brand names/materials they suggest are obsolete and unavailable. I had a student spend several weeks looking for a "Skinner" chuck.

Unka' George [George McDuffee] ============ Merchants have no country. The mere spot they stand on does not constitute so strong an attachment as that from which they draw their gains.

F. George McDuffee

Thanks, I bought that one. Hopefully it will pay for itself.

google on 215 hits

Reply to
Ignoramus584

Have you looked at the videos that Smartflix.com has for rent?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Looks nice. I bought a book earlier based on another poster's suggestion, I will try to read it a little bit. I may very well check out those videos.

Ignoramus584

Iggy,

Yer on the right track with the ARMY manual.. Any '50's Navy book would do you well too ...

--.- Dave

Reply to
Dave August