Google SketchUp 6

Saw someone had used this to design a simple lathe carriage stop.

Google SketchUp Pro 6 $495

To which I say how much is a real package?

Reply to
Louis Ohland

Interesting, hadn't seen that.

I guess the answer depends on entirely what you can't do with Google SketchUp (free), or SkechUp Pro ($495). People could better help you meet your spec if you'd, well, spec it.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I don't think Google sketchup is free at all. I downloaded the "free" trial version which give you up to 8 hours of "design time". That's not enough to get you very far.

They have a neat tutorial that shows how easy it is to do some (simple) things, but as soon as you get past it, you have to go through the same rote learning process that I went through with other CAD programs in order to complete a fairly simple drawing.

Pete Stanaitis

---------------------------- Dave H> >

Reply to
spaco

Reply to
Louis Ohland

Hi guys,

I'm not a metalworker, but I am a SketchUp guy.

There are 2 versions of SketchUp: Google SketchUp is the free version, and Google SketchUp Pro is the commercial version ($495.)

If you inadvertently downloaded the 8-hour Pro trial version, the Pro features will time out and you will be left with Google SketchUp free version.

For a comparison of the 2 versions, see:

As far as modeling/design capabilities the 2 versions are identical. The main differences are in import/export abilities, and Layout; which is a presentation enhancement.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
JimF

cavalamb himself