Got a nice little book today

While checking out at my local Ace Hardware, I noticed a little book that is black and a little bigger than 3" x 5". It is called "POCKET REF" and is by Thomas J. Glover. It was $12.98.

In it, there are zillions of facts, information, knots, formulas, weights, welding, symbols, taps and dies, squares cubes and roots, rope, metallurgy, conversion charts, constants, and everything from A to Z. Well, from abrasives to wounds, abdominal.

I snatched one for personal references, and for when someone here asks a question, and I want to appear bigger and smarter than I am in person.

It has a trig section that covers the Pythagorean theorem question posed not long ago, along with working with triangles other than right triangles.

Absolutely tons of information for those of us whose minds are already so full we can't keep up with our own cell phone numbers. Or car keys.

If you see one, pause and take a look. There is another that deals with welding and metal, and I would like to find it, but I forget its name right now. A pocket size book. If you know the name, please post it.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Grant Erwin

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 09:25:55 -0700, the inscrutable "SteveB" spake:

I bought one of those a decade ago for computer repair work. Great and handy! Later I found the Pocket Pal from International Paper which covered graphics and printing information.

More recently, I got the first edition Handyman In-Your-Pocket, also from Glover, from

. 768 pages going from anchors to belts/pulleys/gears to carpentry to glue to nails to ropes to plumbing to sheetmetal and to welding, with many things in between. Again, very handy.

Yes, they're really great and can save you a whole lot of time every time you use them. Buy 'em all. They're well worth it!

Was it the HIYP?

Oh, Charlie Self (one of the Wreck old timers) just released his woodworking version of these reference books, complete with spiral binding for flat use. It's yet another good $10 investment.

--- Chaos, panic, and disorder--my work here is done.
Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Harbor Freight sells it for $9.95. Its handy as hell and a lot smaller than Machinerys Handbook

Gunner

Didn't notice when I bought it, but yep, it is third edition. This is going to make good bathroom reading.

STeve

Reply to
SteveB

Hey Gunner,

I'm on a Third Edition. Keeping all three. I saw these for sale in Detroit at HF too, but they were not the latest edition. Not that you would miss a whole lot if you didn't know, but they are a bit behind there, so maybe that's why the $ difference.

Take care.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario,. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx

Reply to
Brian Lawson

There have been numerous versions of the Pocket Reference type books, and all of 'em contain such an extensive amount of info, that they're just too good to pass up if you have an interest in their particular contents.

They're a lot like having an Audel's series worth of info in a pocket-sized book.

I've seen, and have a few titles, for electronics, the NEC/wiring info, Computers, Construction/carpentry and many other topics.

WB .............

metallurgy,

Reply to
Wild Bill

Ill check the next time Im in. Best as I can recall, mine is a 3 also. Ill check tommorow.

Gunner

Gunner

I got a 2 myself.

IIRC MSCdirect had it in a sales catalog.

Martin

Reply to
lionslair at consolidated dot

Mines a 2.

Gunner, who has most of the Audels though "Considering the events of recent years, the world has a long way to go to regain its credibility and reputation with the US." unknown

Reply to
Gunner

I got one of those back in 1993 and loved it. I also have the "Handyman In Your Pocket" edition which is thicker and has even more gobs of stuff, but isn't the pocket ref plus some. The pocket ref has some metalworking stuff the handyman doesn't, but the handyman has a brief welding section, however.

Reply to
carl mciver

Actually Grant, I bought my Third Editi "Copyright 1989-2002 by Thomas J Glover 3rd Edition 7th Printing - August 2003"

So the 3rd Edition was actually published in 2002 (and my 7th printing of the 3rd Edition was printed in August of 2003).

- Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver