Got to touch a piece of history today

I got a chance to see and touch a piece of history today, one of the original 13 sets of gage blocks made by CE Johansson! I went to the online local paper to check yard sales and see if there was any I ought to go look at. On the front page, just before clickiing the Classifieds link, I saw a headline "Yardsale Eureka". Checked out the link to find a local woman had purchased the set years ago for $20, and would have them on display at the local Ford dealer today. I took my copy of Foundations of Mechanical Accuracy and let her copy the section on Johansson, and took a couple pictures of the set. She has documentation certifying it as Johansson's personal set, and she's going to get me a copy of that. Here's the link to the article in today's local paper:

If I'd seen these at a museum, they'd have been behind glass. It was neat to be able to actually touch them. No, didn't handle the blocks themselves and I made sure to tell her not to handle them.

Sure wish this had been my yard sale score...

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. I hadn't heard of CE Johansson before. I would think that some museum somewhere would buy those from her. I wonder how she came up with $55,000?

Lane

Reply to
Lane

The article said they were the set with the serial number of "ONE!"

Was there an aura about them?

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Bah...they probably haven't been certified in years, cost more to re-cert 'em than they're worth. I'll give you 50 bucks for 'em...

Dave "Give a man an inch..." Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz