Grinding a blank lathe tool for parting or cutoff

I've read your comments about the lacking pictures. DoN, I'm as close to an artist at hand grinding tools (sorry for the shameless boast) that you are likely to encounter. I show a few that I have ground. I'd like you to see them. Remember-----all ground *without* a tool rest of any kind.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Now that I've seen it, I think text format would have been best. It ends up as an 86K text file. Converting to a PDF (not everyone has the tools to do so) makes a 590K file. The original is 11.6 megabytes. I don't even want to think about what an MS Word .doc would look like.

Text is good, particularly if there's no special formatting, fonts or graphics to be preserved.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

When I looked it over after savig as a WordPad (not Word) .doc, it looked fine but I didn't realize that the images weren't in the file.

But the text without the images is about 88kb.

I've been reading the Chaski boards occasionally for several years, so looking up Harold's images wouldn't be difficult for anyone that might have some trouble envisioning the grinds made on the cutting tools.

The Chaski forums/message boards are chock full of good info, provided by real pros and metal hobbiest/enthusiasts types on nearly all aspects of metalworking.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

----------- see

download a "free" pdf printer. Install on most any windows machine and print using the "cute" printer to create a pdf file.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

[ ... ]

StarOffice 7.0 -- from an earlier version of Solaris, IIRC.

Hmm ... a download -- of the sources and compile, or a pre-compiled version? I do remember downloading the sources at some time in the past, and discovering that they needed a lot of libraries which I did not have -- and those needed more libraries as well. :-) More trouble than it was worth while StarOffice was available pre-compiled by Sun.

O.K. I do see OpenOffice available for download for Solaris, and I am downloading as I type.

And the StarOffice needs a license fee to run it for more than a short trial period, so we'll see what OpenOffice does for me.

Microsoft keeps changing their format so what was compatible does not remain so -- and to force user of Microsoft Office to continually buy newer versions. :-(

The address is valid -- but the file is about a factor of 100 too large to get to me by e-mail. I've got a 30k size limit on *all* incoming e-mail, to keep viruses out of a couple of small mailing lists which I host. My system may be imune to the viruses, but that does not apply to all who are receiving from the mailing lists.

Thanks for trying, at least.

:-)

Raw PostScript is probably similar in size.

It is the excellent compression in PDF which makes the difference.

I will try the downloaded OpenOffice (once it completes the download and I install it) -- we are only 6% done with the download so far.

Thanks, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Apparently your WordPad also did not see and convert the images, just as StarOffice 7.0 failed.

Agreed -- though apparently there were *supposed* to be some images in there. I'm downloading the latest OpenOffice to see if that shows me the images, since I don't have the option of opening it with Word. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Yep, the CutePDF solution was mentioned here quite a long time ago, and I couldn't remember the name of it, since I only tried it a few times (but I was impressed at how simple it was to create a PDF document).

Thanks for mentioning it again George, it could be a very useful tool to use once I'm able to remember it.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

On 12 Dec 2008 02:03:21 GMT, the infamous "DoN. Nichols" scrawled the following:

Bueno.

And M$ can can go kiss a rancid rat's rosy red rectum.

So much for that. It went but you dinna see 'er.

Jewelcome.

True.

It's a biggie. G'luck!

-- It is pretty hard to tell what does bring happiness; poverty and wealth have both failed. -- Kin Hubbard

Reply to
Larry Jaques

[ ... ]

O.K. That old one was actually version 5.1. 7.0 was installed with Solaris 10, and both are present in the system, depending on how I invoke them. :-)

[ ... ]

Except for the version which comes with Solaris 10, apparently.

However -- I've downloaded it, and installed, it, and can't find how to *start* it. (And I don't like the installer sending me 48 separate e-mails for each various part of the package installed. Why could it not have combined them all into a single e-mail?)

During the installation process, apparently gnome was the preferred windowing system, and it installed hooks for that. I normally use CDE, but after installation, I re-logged-in to run Gnome, and all I found was an icon to start StarOffice -- and nothing for OpenOffice. :-(

I am *not* thrilled with OpenOffice.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Unfortunately, the way the board is now operated, one must be a registered user to see images that are hosted on the Chaski board, which mine are.

Registration may seem like a bit of an imposition, but once Marty made the change, spamming of the board came to an abrupt halt. We were being hit daily with several posts, some of which were XXX in nature. That's not the purpose of the board, so the change has been a wonderful improvement, lightening my burden considerably.

Anyone with an interest in mechanical devices is welcome----application is generally approved within 24 hours. Marty is the sole authority for approval, and does an outstanding job at screening the riff-raff.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

So what are the odds someone will save this as a .pdf to the dropbox?

Reply to
glyford

I've used PDF995 for years.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I did this yesterday, but I guess aioe was down, and teranews swallowed the post. Anyway... (494KiB)

Steve Ackman

Excellent, Steve. Thanks for taking the time to do this, on behalf of the not-so-swift-software-stuff folks.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

I think it was a worthwhile change to require registration for access to the Chaski forums, Harold.

All that registration requires is a legitimate email address from an interested person to become registered. I was a reader of the forums before the requirement was put in place, so it was no effort for me. To view the messages is unrestricted, but to see the images or comment on subjects, one is required to log in.

Anyone that's nervous about using an email address that they'd prefer to keep private for personal correspondence, can get a free email address from Yahoo or numerous other sources.

Thanks again for your detailed contributions Harold, here in RCM and Chaski.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

Thanks, WB-----I appreciate that someone reads my ravings, such as they are.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

That did it! Images and all -- now in the "hands" of my printer.

Thanks, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

On 12 Dec 2008 05:39:54 GMT, the infamous "DoN. Nichols" scrawled the following:

Strange, and a good question. The Windows version didn't send emails. ;)

It appears that many things in *nix are like that. Send a missive off to Sun asking "WTF,O?" and let us know what they say.

-- It is pretty hard to tell what does bring happiness; poverty and wealth have both failed. -- Kin Hubbard

Reply to
Larry Jaques

[ ... OpenOffice ... ]

It probably used a standard Windows Installation Wizard. The one for Solaris looks as though it is trying to pretend to be the same sort of critter.

Since that "Installation Wizard" is not used by any of Sun's software (they use "pkgadd"instead, which does things the Sun way, and does not flood my mailbox. :-)

I don't knwo where OpenOffice got their Wizard, but I don't like it.

And since OpenOffice is not one of Sun's packages, asking them how to make it work does not make sense either. Sun's version is StarOffice, which does work in general -- just not with the images in those .rtf files. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

On 18 Dec 2008 03:36:11 GMT, the infamous "DoN. Nichols" scrawled the following:

Tres gauche.

Write in and let them know.

I thought the package was Sun's since it's DLable there. I hadn't given it much thought. BUT, since you're having trouble loading it with Solaris, which IS Sun's bailiwick, they might feel like helping. YMMV.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Heart Attacks: God's revenge for eating his little animal friends

Reply to
Larry Jaques