Grinding a blank lathe tool for parting or cutoff

If you feel like doing some more fooling around...

Abiword is supposed to run on Solaris. Windows version 2.6.2 opened that rtf document, the images seemed to look okay too. It was a bit pokey doing it, but my computer is old and slow anyway. See:

I don't know diddly squat about compiling/running stuff for any of the nixs', on your own there :)

Reply to
Leon Fisk

The rtf file in Abiword 2.6.4 under Linux is also quite pokey... but when you've got a ~1/2MB of info with 10.5MB of overbloat, you've got to expect some lag time time in there. Abiword is much smaller than OOo, so (empty/not cached) opens faster, but it's definitely not optimized for rtf. From the command line to file rendering.

$ soffice Tool_Grinding_by_Harold.rtf 19 seconds (12/1)

$ abiword Tool_Grinding_by_Harold.rtf 32 seconds (29/1)

$ xpdf Tool_Grinding_by_Harold.pdf 1 second (~200ms/~0)

(first number in parentheses was same command when cached, second is time to open empty app from cache, so the difference between the numbers in parentheses is render time)

Makes it easy to see why PDF is favored by so many.

Test bed: ~6-yr-old 1.5Ghz Athlon w/384MB RAM OS: Debian Testing (aka Lenny)

Reply to
Steve Ackman

O.K. I'll have a look at it.

But really -- since I have the PDF and could print it, I'm not sure that I really need to go through this. :-)

Thanks, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I hear you :)

I waste a lot of time tinkering with stuff for/on the computer. It may be helpful for the next time you're trying to open some odd file though.

From what Steve A. said, he could open/read that file too with Abiword on Linux. That is a good sign that it should do the job okay.

Reply to
Leon Fisk