Grinding a sharpening stone?

A friend has a triangular, 3 faced honing stone. Like this one from Mcmaster; "4505A1 All-in-One Deluxe Oil-Bath Sharpening Stone 11-1/2" X2-1/2" X1/2", Alum Oxide & Silicon Carbide In stock at $209.73 Each"

The surfaces are worn from use and he wondered if I could surface grind it flat again. He estimates that removing .030 would true the surface.

I do not have a diamond wheel for my surface grinder but do have a white oxide one. Will that remove the material and resurface the stone?

Bob

Reply to
Bob

My guess it that would clog the pores in the stones & they won't work well. I have a cheap set of diamond "stones" from HF (diamond coated mesh on a sheet of plastic backing)I use to flatten my good stones, or others here have suggested a single point diamond dresser in a flycutter.

MikeB

MikeB

Reply to
BQ340

Aluminum oxide is much softer than silicon carbide, so, no, it won't work. Even grinding aluminum oxide with aluminum oxide isn't a good idea. I expect you'd remove more from the wheel than you would the stone. Diamond is the answer, and even that will be a little bit hard on the diamond wheel.

Can the stones be turned over?

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Thanks Guys. I like the diamond in the flycutter idea. I'll try that

Bob

Reply to
Bob

My friend brought the stones over today. I set up a diamond point in the boring head. I covered the machine surfaces and kept the shop vacuum running pulling away the dust. The diamond resurfaced the stones and they came out absolutely perfect.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

I have years of precision grinding to my credit----

I learned something valuable today!

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 09:40:53 GMT, the infamous "Harold and Susan Vordos" scrawled the following:

It's about bloody _time_, 'Arry.

------ We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.

Reply to
Larry Jaques