Grinding a slot

I bought a vertical slotter a while back. The sliding head is REALLY worn. Grinding the two sides and bottom should be a piece of cake on
my surface grinder.
On each side is a slot about 1/4" wide by 3/8" deep. One edge of each slot needs to be ground true. How should this be done?
My surface grinder takes 3" diameter stones. If there is such a thing as a side grinding stone, the cost is likely out of this world. I'm tempted to true up this slot on my mill with a slotting cutter.
other suggestions?
Karl

Can you strap a toolpost or even a die grinder under the head of the surface grinder? The spindle doesn't have to be level as long as you diamond-dress the stone.
Jim Wilkins

3" diameter?
Is this the typical bridgeport slotting head?
After you grind or mill the surfaces, can you make a gib to deal with clearance?
Anyone have a breakdown of what one of these things look like?
I keep wanting one. This sounds like a learnable moment if someone is teaching.
Wes -- In her book "Atlas Shrugged", first published in 1957, Ayn Rand warned us about the society we find ourselves in. We were warned.

I.D. of wheel

No its a Rhodes. Here's one like mine except i have the vertical attachment http://s213.photobucket.com/albums/cc169/bigbill04/?action=view&current=shaperinoperation.flv
Here's a pic of the ram. It shows the slot I need to grind true
http://www.eurospares.com/graphics/Tools/shapers/rhodesramalibre.jpg

Site Timeline