Grinding wheel hardness?

What hardness [K,L,M] does everyone recommend for grinding drill bits and HHS lathe tools?

Thanks in advance.

Chuck P.

Reply to
Pilgrim

I bought CBN wheels for my Darex sharpener from there guys, they work MUCH better than the wheels that came with it:

David Courtney

For offhand work I usually keep a 100 K white on the righ side for fine work and a 80 grit on the left.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

A60 "Grade Q Structure M" has worked well for lathe bits and deburring on my bench grinder. I use a 7" angle grinder for heavier cuts.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

H or J

Reply to
Phil Kangas

This is an excellent tutorial including info on grinding wheel abrasives for shop use, and grinding HSS cutting tools, written by Harold V. The info can be found at The Home Machinist! - Chaski metalworking forum site.

"Grinding HSS tool bits"

Here's a site with a bonded grinding wheel chart.. You can probably save and copy the chart .gif then print it out for later reference.

Wild_Bill