Gun Reamer?

How does one use a gun reamer? the end has no lead in chamfer.

Ebay Item number: 200759361238

Remove 333 to reply. Randy

Reply to
Loading thread data ...

That's not a gun reamer.

Reply to

Its not any form of "gun" reamer I am familiar with.

Probably the EBAY poster was just keyword spamming. Its against the TOS, but ultimately all EBAY cares about is their own pocket.

Usually a barrel chamber reamer is used in conjunction with a set of Go/NoGo gages. However, some match guns are adjusted a little tighter than that. I recall watching Mike Scheerz of Gila River Gunworks chambering on his lathe to match a gun to specific hand loaded cartridge specifications. Shoulder fit, head space etc... I wish I had studied what he was doing more and shot the breeze a little less back then.

There are reams used for preparing a shotgun barrel for internal threading to use interchangeable choke tubes. The ones I have seen do not look anything like the one in that picture.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

A gun reamer is a type of long reamer, usually made for reaming valve guides and fluid passageways in aerospace and other applications. They're were once made like a gun drill, with a single lip, thus the "gun" designation. The term apparently is also applied to any reamer with long cutting edges; I don't recall, having not seen the term for decades.

It's just a long reamer. What everyone (including me) were thinking of at first is a chambering reamer for rifles. Or, possibly, a shotgun chamber reamer for reaming out old shotguns made for roll-crimped shells so they can handle star-crimped types.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

For re-chambering rifles, I would think a piloted tool would be the = standard design; use of a piloted tool it is without a doubt the process = I would specify where consistant and reliable results are required = regardless of whether the tool was being used in a lathe, drill press or = even being spun by hand.

The tool pictured in the ebay ad however, would probably more accurately = be described as simply a flat bottom typical usage, where = size and location control are both critical, it is either run in a = bushing or else a short portion of the hole pre-bored to a very slightly = oversized diameter before the rotating reamer is inserted; the oversized = portion is later cut away entirely or is removed by chamfering the hole = opening.

Otherwise, the hole can be chamfered beforehand, but your actual results = will vary quite a bit depending on whether the reamer is stationary like = in a lathe tailstock; or rotating as in a drill press....also, depending = on accuracy of centerline alignment, runout, and so forth.....

Reply to

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.