hand-held electric drill for bigger drills in steel

"Private"

Your questions hit a number of issues.

The angle - we face it with the "on the flat" bit coming out towards us. So half the holes are quite near to the corner (the holes are alternately staggered to prevent rocking (?). So problem getting a mag.base drill to line up.

The access is "single-sided" in most places, as breeze-block has already been put up and in some places the waterproof roof is already in place, so we absolutely cannot disturb that. If we had access to both sides, I could improvise a clamp or something.

I think this is simply a "pessimum" situation - single-sided access limits options, not big enough to get a big drill in, too big to be comfortable with a hand-held drill.

I've looked at this job and I see no easy way to make some sort of clamp and drilling assembly. The only one I can see is use a hand-held drill on the first hole, then bolt on a rig, going along the job one-by-one, using each drilled and tapped hole to reach the next position.

Drilling was much easier with a "pistol-grip" electric drill when had a handle set "sticking out of the top" and the drill used "on its side". However, provided polymer handle with steel band fixing was not rigid enough to take the force needed happily and I think making a big handle which clamps onto the front parallel section of the drill would help a lot.

Thanks for trying to help me out here.

Rich Smith

Reply to
Richard Smith

Since you have considered all the other options, here is another way that may work for you with some thought.... if you are on good concrete and with good std construction scaffold and good rollers and with an extra level mounted above the work floor, you may be able to solidly mount a heavy drill to a frame which can then be secured to the upper scaffold frame with nylon ratchet straps or clamps and adjusted for height. Then just use a couple more ratchet straps to go around the angle (I assume there is 1/4" min clear) and just pull the scaffold forward. I suggest you sweep the roller track on the floor first.

alternatively if the rolling surface is poor... Fab the frame so it is vertically adjustable and allow it to slide on the leveled scaffold floor.

Do what it takes to complete the job safely. Good luck.

Reply to
Private

towards

already

access

making a

Richard,

I've not followed all the posts in this thread so maybe your application will preclude my suggestion, but have you considered using a Spit powder charge nail gun to pin the elements together:

I was skeptical, but having one of these beasts am amazed how they fire fixings through quite thick steel. No drilling or tapping at all! The hire places such as HSS have them.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Hi Andrew

No I hadn't considered one of these! It looks fearsome. One that shoots nails into wood is bad enough! I fear to think of one which would shoot through 8mm of steel!

Might be difficult to apply as two ~8mm thick plates standing about

40mm apart with a pre-drilled hole passing through both, designed to take a bolt - which is fastenered to the angle. The one you point to

- it's more like nailing but for steel, isn't it?

I'll ask about one of these and look out for instances of its use.

Richard Smith

Reply to
Richard Smith

getting

fixing

another

scaffold

scaffold

One of the 'nails' that they can fire is actually a stud - as you say awesome. I got mine to fix cladding to the rsj uprights of a steel barn I'm buying. First saw the on 'Grand Designs' where a chap was pinning steel plates to structural steel in a new roof construction in Edinburgh.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

&*^%! Wild but it makes sense. The metal flow over the "nail" would grip it, giving a very secure fastening. And with the metal cladding being thin, with flexure it can't magnify forces with leverage and would tear with a lowish force, absolving the mount of need to take huge forces anyway. I'll definitely look out for examples of this being used. Thanks Rich Smith
Reply to
Richard Smith

Something like this should do the trick --

(Wish I'd thought of this)

Regards

John

Reply to
John Joseph

Richard, did you see my post about a pushbar? It's really the approach to this job, it'll work better than anything else I've see suggested.

John

Reply to
JohnM

John - yes, I did see this.

You suggested to me

"Whatever drill you use, use a pushbar with it. A leaf from a spring works very well- cut a notch in one end and stick the leaf through the drill handle, catch the notch in a chain that's hooked to the work and bear down on the free end of the leaf. No pilot hole required, save heaps of time and effort."

Come to think of it - would work perfectly. Carefully drill and tap the first hole then screw in a bolt with a loop, attach your lever and the rest would go well.

And works for this case of single-sided access (masonry behind angle-iron).

Must try this if on similar job. There is a D-handle (spade-handle) drill at the yard - found one.

Thanks again - best wishes -- Rich Smith

Reply to
Richard Smith

I generally use a piece of light chain with a hook on one end. If you can hook the hook someplace it's easy, otherwise you can tack the other end of the chain to the work. The leaf-spring suggestion was for something big, a piece of 1" square tube would likely serve for what you're doing.

A prybar with a fixed fulcrum and a hook on the end of it to catch a chain can really be the shit too. Works like a half-clamp but is more versatile, and it's easy to put a couple thousand lbs. of pressure on a spot. Affix the chain to the work with a single tack- rock the link you're tacking slightly toward the side you're hitting with the welder, then when you put tension on it you're giving a little tack the greatest advantage. Slap the chain toward the tack when you're done and it'll pop right off.

John

Reply to
JohnM

I'm picking up your wavelength here - must start to think like this. Mild steel is totally forgiving stuff - for sure can temporarily tack bits on and so on without a concern in the world. Thanks again - really appreciate your input. Rich

Reply to
Richard Smith

This all brings back memories (bad) long ago of drilling with a low speed, high torque hand-held drill in limited space. The bit caught, the drill twisted and jammed my hand in the limited space so I couldn't let go of the trigger. Yikes. Had to reach in with the other hand and pull my finger off the trigger. Lucky I didn't get badly hurt.

Reply to
RogerW