fine egg-crate stock

I got a request from a customer for a "fine grille" on one soffit mounted
A/C vent over a counter-top/desk.
I showed him a sample of 1/2" x 1/2" aluminum return grille material, and he
wants the holes about half that size.
Yeah... I told him about reduced air flow, etc, but this is all about
cosmetics, and it's only one vent, not all of them.
I've dug around the web, and only found 1/2" cells and larger. Local
supplier
doesn't stock anything smaller.
Does anyone here know of a source for egg-crate style grille material in
1/4" openings? It could even be lighting grille material, cut to size. I
can figure out the escutchion to hold it on the boot, but I'm ready to
make a custom grille.
LLoyd
Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
--Search around for plastic stuff: there's more variety and it's probably a lot cheaper. Make an aluminum frame for it if you have to.
Reply to
steamer
Honeycomb panels are used for RF shielding. For example:
As far as I know they are all custom made and cell size and size can be specified. They likely to be costly for your application. I would look around the surplus market. Key words are shielding, EMI, Honeycomb panels, shielded rooms, waveguide below cutoff.
Regards,
Reply to
GeorgeD
done it.... the standards are 1/2", 3/4", 1-1/2", and 3". I need 1/4".
LLoyd
Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
Thanks... that might be the lead I need.
LLoyd
Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
Nope.... all the shielding material is 1/8" cell. Too small for this app.
It would work OK, but I've been given the "1/4-inch command".
I checked out honeycomb core material for panels, and it is available in 1/4" cell, but the foil is only (max) 0.002" thick... much too fragile for handing.
LLoyd
Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
I've seen honeycomb AL material used on jet engines (P&W 4090 was the last I saw), so somebody makes it. The difficult part is finding out who and then being able to get a small piece.
If it's a one-off thing and the material is not critical you might consider cutting the pattern into a mold of some sort and casting the piece in a good filled epoxy material.
Pete C.
Reply to
Pete C.
Well if you get desperate you could go to a kitchen supply store and buy a large waffle grid, then mix up some polyester resin and some fiberglass strands and pour/mold your own.
I have seen 1/4" used as speaker grill material on older speakers.
Reply to
Steve W.
You may be able to use the fiberglass "honeycomb" material used as core for composite structures in both boat and aircraft building. Try a Google for "aircraft spruce" (may be
) who sell the stuff. I think they may have what you want.
Bruce in Bangkok (brucepaigeatgmaildotcom)
Reply to
Bruce
Bruce, Aircraftspruce only carries the 1/8" cell size, but they list others as in the line. Thanks... that was the link I needed.
LLoyd
Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
Lloyd,
Aircraft spruce certainly doesn't make the honeycomb so further searches may turn up the manufacturer, or wholesaler. Certainly other dimensions are available commercially. I well remember making aileron trim tab repairs for the Boeing 707 (KC-135) using the material and IIRC we stocked it in various dimensions. I have a mate who does a lot of composite work and will ask him, tomorrow, if he has a reference for a supplier.