AC to DC conversion question

Hi,
heres my dilema, I have a AC 12 V source which I need to convert to
about.......lets say, DC 5 volts I guess.
Anyone know how I can do this
Reply to
gis
How much current?
Reply to
jriegle
in article TZdtb.479$ snipped-for-privacy@read2.cgocable.net, gis at snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote on 11/14/03 3:57 PM:
certainly
Reply to
Repeating Decimal
Few diodes, capacitor and a voltage regulator is all it takes. You can buy the components at radio shack.
Reply to
Mark
Such a dilema (or even dilemma). Hmm. Use the 12 V ac to boil water. Collect the steam, direct into a piston engine. Belt the engine to a water pump. Pump water up a hill to a large reservoir. Build a penstock out of PVC pipe and direct it to a hydraulic turbine. Use the hydraulic turbine to turn the shaft of a dc generator shaft. Regulate the output of the generator with a carbon-pile stack connected to its field. You can make the elements from the carbon pile stack by cutting disks out of the centre rod of a common No. 6 dry cell.
If anyone knows a simpler way to accomplish this, I challenge you to describe it.
Bill
( a few parameters would make this more of a proper engineering question. Don't they sell those "101 Electronic Projects " books on newstands for $3 any more? )
Reply to
Bill Shymanski
I can't believe you'd be so irresponsible... You've COMPLETELY forgetten the most important stage: hamster turing it's wheel. Sad, just sad! :) TTYL
Reply to
repatch
Attach a fuel cell to your butt; connect the fuel cell to a rechargable battery. Every time you fart, the fuel cell produces current at the voltage you wish and charges the battery... tbh
Reply to
Tim Heise
ok maybe 20 - 50 mA?
Reply to
gis
Boy did you date yourself! I'll bet the youngsters out there never saw one of those. They don't exactly fit into a portable MP3 player!
Ben Miller
Reply to
Ben Miller
I'm a youngster! (Well, 26 anyway).. and yes, I've never seen a No. 6 dry cell, but have heard of them. What exactly are they, and what are (were?) they used in?
I'm only familiar with AA, AAA, C, D, N and the ever-handy tongue-testable 9V. }:)
-Z
Reply to
zorin
Now THAT is original! Finally a REASON to fart! :)
Reply to
repatch
The were/are 1&1/2 volt dry cells about the size of a small thermos. Used most often in groups for doorbell/call systems in old apt. bldgs. - larger homes - etc., and other signaling uses. I have also seen (in the past) them used for lighting infrequently used closets, and storage spaces in combination with door switches.
They were also quite often used in training facilities for powering training boards (switches, lights, and other devices) before low voltage power supplies were commonly available.
I believe the chemistry was Zink Chloride?
Louis--********************************************* Remove the two fish in address to respond
Reply to
Louis Bybee
Google found this and others
John G
See Eveready EN6 for "modern" #6 alkaline cell:
{listed as two paralleled OEM cells:
} --s falke
Reply to
s falke
AC/DC.....I always loved that band!
Reply to
fishbulb
A set of No. 6 cells would run your MP3 player for a long long time. I once had a bunch of these for use with telephones - though of course not telephones connected to the phone company.
A few weeks ago it occured to me that the portable set playing quietly in the corner of my home office was possibly the first time my nephews and nieces had ever seen a black-and-white TV.
To prove your antiquity, what are these: 50C5, 35W4, 12AU6,6BE6, 12AV6.
Bill
Reply to
Bill Shymanski
To prove your antiquity, what are these: 50C5, 35W4, 12AU6,6BE6, 12AV6.
Those are modern vacuum tubes from an "all american five" radio circuit. I restore sets that used some of the earliest ones.
Ben Miller
Reply to
Ben Miller
Do you school work yourself! If you do not pay attention in class, how do you expect to make it in the real world?!?
Reply to
Brian
Sure your handle isn't Rube Goldberg???
Reply to