Handling 150 lbs devices

I've had plenty of company.

Reply to
Tom

Did it blow you? It was always blowing when I had it.

Reply to
Me

True

Reply to
Me

Or more accurately, I had to blow it. (field day)

Reply to
Me

This was a case where somebody else loaded equipment in a box onto a trailer and told us it weighed about 600# ... As we were raising the box off the trailer to transfer it into the truck, the guy in the truck saw it move and decided now is a good time to pull the trailer out. 1600# on one of those little cranes bolted to the utility box is not good :) The $20,000 box of RADAR parts only dropped about 2 feet so I'm sure it was fine :) It was going back to the depot for repair anyway.. You would think the company could afford to hire people that know how to deal with loads like that and have the proper equipment, but that's what ya get when the bean counters rule.

T-shirts

Reply to
Glenn

On Sat, 4 Mar 2006 19:43:05 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "Glenn" quickly quoth:

Oops!

-------------------------------------------------------------------- The more we gripe, *

longer God makes us live. * Graphic Design - Humorous T-shirts

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I built a ramp. Photos to follow.

Ignoramus29329

Next: a wheel.

Reply to
Me

Again, not funny. You should give working out a try. It might clear your head of all the clutter. I did say 'might'. LOL

Reply to
TheBillRod.gers

Ok you got me, I should've said "the wheel".

Reply to
Me

Seems I'm too late, but I'll throw this in anyway. I lift/carry/move stuff in the 100-300 lbs range daily. I weigh 145. For unloading a pickup I have a long chunk of 2" iron pipe. Probably in the neighborhood of 8-9 feet long. I drag the item to the tailgate, lash it to roughly the middle of my pipe with a chain. I make at least one full round with the chain so it won't slide along the pipe. Set one end of the pipe on a full barrel, stout toolbox, or anything else roughly the height of the truck's bed and stable. Lift the free end, walk it around and set it down. Then pick up the other end from the support, walk it around, set it down and I'm on the ground. For the heaviest stuff I do it in stages--set that "free" end on a bucket or something instead of directly onto the ground--so I don't shift as much weight to the end I'm holding as I lower it. No injuries, no strain, no surprises. Yet, anyway. (: I made a small wood dolly one foot square, with six small steel casters under it. Set a 1,000 lbs fully assembled rear axle on it and rolled it without much trouble. Even over expansion joints in the floor. Any slip would have dropped it a whopping two and a half inches. Lower is always better, but that's low enough for me.

Reply to
B.B.

Very nice. I made a wooden ramp which will be perfect for 150 lbs stuff. If/when I need to move heavier stuff, I will modify it a little.

As far as carrying heavy things, I deadlift more than 150 lbs (nothing to brag about, just stating a fact), but with odd shapes and hard to grab objects, it is a little more risky.

Ignoramus29329

Very nice. I made a wooden ramp which will be perfect for 150 lbs stuff. If/when I need to move heavier stuff, I will modify it a little.

As far as carrying heavy things, I deadlift more than 150 lbs (nothing to brag about, just stating a fact), but with odd shapes and hard to grab objects, it is a little more risky.

Ignoramus29329

That works.

Reply to
Don Foreman

It is a lot more risky if it isn't a straight up lift.

100 lb was considered a "one-man carry" in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, meaning that a man was expected to lift and move 100 lb loads all day long. But this was in context of loads lifted with crossbars, forget what they called 'em, so that men on each end of the bar had essentially a dead lift and carry. 600 lb bridge section or timber, 6-man carry and so on, all day or until the bridge is built whichever happens last.
Reply to
Don Foreman