Harbor freight compressor pump opinions?

My 5 HP Sanborn air compressor developed a rod knock and died. Harbor freight has a replacement pump for $99. I goggled to see if
there were any opinions and did not find any. So has anyone had experience with the above? Thanks. Scott
The HF pumps are chinese knockoffs of other products, typically done in fairly heavy cast iron but with low levels of quality control. The result is high infant mortality (don't work at all or die quickly) then they tend to run for a fairly long time. But don't expect to be able to get parts after just a few years.
Look for a full cast iron unit, both crankcase, and cylinder. Skip the aluminum crankcase units as well as the aluminu cylinder with cast liner.
Keep in mind that your "5 HP" unit was probably one of those that came under the the lawsuit settlement, it is unlikely that it develops a real 5 hp unless you have it on a 240 volt 30 amp circuit. Match your replacement compressor to the air output specs, not the HP.
Scott wrote:

I just had a weld come lose on the rail that connects the compresser to the tank. Seems it wasn't done too well. The compressor is HArbor Freight and has given about 3 years of good service.
LLB, messingschlager

If this is the V twin 5hp you're talking about, a friend bought one a few months back. He's very happy with it, and can't get over what a bargain it was. It's a large pump, but very quiet with dual intake filters. Powered nicely by an older 15A 230V motor labeled 3hp.
Wayne
I've ordered one, but it hasn't arrived yet. Wayne, do you know what diameter drive pulley he used? I will need to know so that I can drive it at the right RPM. HF doesn't say what the maximum RPM is. I have a 3450 RPM 15 amp, 230 V motor, but will get a 20 amp (5-hp) if necessary. It would be nice if I can use the smaller motor I already have.

"wmbjk" < snipped-for-privacy@citlink.net> wrote in message
On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 22:26:19 -0400, "Bob Chilcoat"

He reports that the sheaves are approximately 4.25 and 14.25 inches OD. He can't find the paperwork that came with the pump, but says he chose the motor sheave based on its recommendation. I heard the compressor running, speed sounds about right, definitely didn't seem slow, a little fast if anything (for what that's worth). Based on the amperage, it seems like your 3 hp motor is similar to his so it should be fine. Please report the details on your setup once it's running.
Wayne
Thanks, I'll work from there when it arrives. Should be here in a week or so (back ordered). I'll provide a PIREP when I get it running.