Harbor Freight for the Strategic Shopper

My high frequency hearing (everything above 2 KHz) has been gone since at least high school (before I started shooting, so we can't blame that. :-)

I bought a Fluke 77 some years ago, and wound up selling it to a co-worker. I could not hear the continuity beeper. So, I got a Fluke

27 (physically larger, and a lower pitch beeper) so I don't have to ask my wife to be a beep repeater. :-)

In particular, I like the double short beep for the proper forward voltage drop on a silcon diode, or transistor junction.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

[ ... ]

I've never tried DeOxit Gold, but I have used DeOxit, and its predecessor from the same company, Cramolin, and found both to be very good -- including for spraying into the end of a push-button switch assembly of the kind likely to be in the piano-key Flukes.

I've used it on some aging switches of similar nature in various

7000 series Tektronix plugins. [ ... ]

Well ... you have my opinion about the DeOxit and the switch assemblies. Hold the board so the DeOxit will flow through the switch as you spritz in with the skinny nose tube, cycle the switches a number of times, then follow with another round of DeOxit. (Or use the red and blue varieties, if you have both. -- I was once told that the two colors differed only in the color dye in them, and this was to encourage the following of the instructions of cleaning with one spritz and then protecting/lubricating with the other.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Friendly fire? Bummer!

Jayzuss! You can really hear the shrapnel whizzing on by, can't you? Well, if you weren't hit by it and had your eardrums shredded. Crazy, mon!

Damned straight. Goodonya, mate!

That's proving to be darned unhandy at times, isn't it?

I haven't even opened it yet. A little RF dimmer switch with remote came in the mail today and I soldered a jack to the LED string. It works beautifully with the (low light) single 3528s. I'll be using it on one of these strings: hi-dens 3528 (120/m) or single 5630s (60/m or 300 per 5m string.) It cost $2.82 with free shipping from Shenzen, China. New switching (vs xfrm) wall wart p/s are $2.60 with free shipping. Get a couple of the dimmers and keep one in your pocket, the other velcroed to the bulkhead of your fave boat and have mood lighting. High for reading, low for lurking. Go 5050 or 5630 for the brightness, though a single string of 3528s would light up that little cabin pretty nicely, I'll bet.

It felt more like 20,000 leagues.

The bug hit me right as I was carting Mom around in the wheelchair, then I had to help set up the reception (up and down ladders for 3 hours.) By the time the reception was on, I was completely out of it. I drove to your house 2 days later, with the blinding headache from the (first of two) sinus infection starting to flare up. Some vacation. After I loaded up at your house, I drove to my sister's and died overnight. Her fresh chicken soup helped a lot. After making it home the next day, I spent the next two weeks in bed. All of October was gone before I started to bring in any more wages. Sucked, it did!

I don't recall, either, but it's not.

Is it possible to get replacement batteries for the 422, um, on _our_ kind of budget? Or should I pop an $18 7ah glass mat SLA in there, for use off-grid? I need to get some contact cleaner for that intensity switch, too. It drops out from about 0-80% brightness, then blinks on a bit too bright, though the focus helps reduce the phosphor bloom a bit.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I think I did see that at one point, but it was a spurious spurt against the norm of zero output.

Well, at least you didn't pay for it and forget to pick it up after the stroke. That would have been excruciating if someone else remembered it and you didn't.

Ornimentals?

Truth!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Suckage.

Gold plating the terlit seat, no doubt?

Where will you _ever_ find replacement carpet in that color?

No pretty lights upon powerup.

BTDT, haven't yet read them front to back.

That was my first thought.

Yabbut, they were larger and AC only.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I have that one & it is handy. Mine needed quite a bit of fiddling to get it right. The biggest issue was that the detents on the horizontal angle settings were too sloppy. I rebuilt the bolt that sits in the detents and it's fine now. There were 1 or 2 other fixed that I've forgotten ... the bottom line is be prepared to fix it if you care about how it works.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

I put on my plaid long sleeve shirt, dark glasses and camouflaged cap, went in and bought a nice drill. Then went back to the car, changed shirts, took off the cap and sunglasses, went back in and bought a nice saw. Then went back out, took off the shirt and went back in my tee shirt and a floppy hat and bought a tarp. I still had coupons but ran out of clothes.

underneath some overalls, a raincoat and a poncho.

stem-61973.html

Being a wize investor, extry thrifty, etc., I keep an envelope in the Studebaker with a handful of 20% off and free gift coupons. Last count I had 3 tape measures, 3 multimeters, 4 screwdriver sets couple of tarps and a 24-pack of AA batteries. Only thing bad free thing I have gotten there so far has been the batteries - I went thru the whole pack and found 2 good ones.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney